What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Food grade Chlorine to be used in a hydrocooler

Started by , Apr 14 2016 06:35 PM
5 Replies
Hey Everyone,
I was hoping that you could give me some recommendations on brands of food grade chlorine that can be used As a fresh vegetable wash in a hydrocooler. It will be used on asparagus and we are in Washington State.

Thanks!
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]

Hi, calaggal;

Look at National Chemical products. I used them years ago for dish sanitizing. The product (chlor-tab?) is EPA registered and FDA approved. The cost was good for what I needed.

I would like to ask why chlorine and not peroxyacetic acid? The product requires no rinse at ppm to kill pathogens and as byproduct is only water.

Also for the topic I would like to add this;

CFR-2011-title21-vol3-sec178-1010.pdf   191.31KB   28 downloads

1 Thank

Most asparagus packers use PAA on their Hydro Coolers. Have you considered PAA vs Chlorine?

Best regards,

Cal

1 Thank

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response! Chlorine is what the customer wanted to use, but I think I have convinced them into using a PPA product (Sanidate 5.0). Sometimes it is hard for them to move away from what they know. Another issue yall might be able to give me guidance on. I told them they should empty their hydro cooler on a daily basis, and clean it. However, they do not want to have to empty it on a daily basis. Can you give me a some guidance on how often they should clean it out?

Thanks!! Yall Rock!

My protocol was to drain and clean every evening.

Please note PAA can eat up certain metals. Do your due diligence, I recommend stainless steel systems for this product.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response! Chlorine is what the customer wanted to use, but I think I have convinced them into using a PPA product (Sanidate 5.0). Sometimes it is hard for them to move away from what they know. Another issue yall might be able to give me guidance on. I told them they should empty their hydro cooler on a daily basis, and clean it. However, they do not want to have to empty it on a daily basis. Can you give me a some guidance on how often they should clean it out?

Thanks!! Yall Rock!

Clean it daily at a minimum if it's a closed system and product is market RTE. Biofilm is a rugged little son-of-a-gun. Or, at least validate your schedule and methods with potable testing for ETB and Heterotrophs, and have results ready for investigations. The produce industry has been under tremendous pressure recently with recalls.

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan Food contact surfaces