What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Supplier qualification SOP - no questionnaire or audit?

Started by , Jul 21 2016 06:03 PM
1 Reply

Hi everyone,

I am trying to write an SOP for my company for the qualification of suppliers (for raw materials and ingredients). I looked it up online and it seems most SOPs include a detailed questionnaire and/or an audit of the supplier's facility.

We are a small company and could definitely not afford to audit our suppliers.

How strong can a qualification procedure be without without an audit?

For the record, until now we are relying on collecting documents (organic cert, spec sheets, etc) and approving each ingredient prior to purchase with analyses, and testing again against our specs upon reception of the material.

I feel like our testing should go a long way in ensuring that each ingredient is safe/meets specs. We don't have a supplier questionnaire (we know that most of our suppliers have their own suppliers who possibly have their own suppliers... so I feel like asking them to detail their handling and QA practices might be a bit besides the point since they are mostly a warehouse with a lot of sales reps).

Thoughts?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Passing through Food Safety Documents from our supplier to our customer Approved Supplier Program - Spot Purchasing What supplier documentation is required when using Aluminium Foil as Primary Packaging?
[Ad]

You need to understand the origin and supply chain for your products.  If you cannot audit what can you do?  Get specifications, certificate of conformities, certificates of analysis, copies of GFSI certificates if they are certified or if not then an overview of their HACCP and Food Safety & Quality Management systems.  This is often done by way of a comprehensive questionnaire covering all elements of a FSQMS.  You must do what you can within reason to get the necessary assurances.

Regards,

Simon

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Passing through Food Safety Documents from our supplier to our customer Approved Supplier Program - Spot Purchasing What supplier documentation is required when using Aluminium Foil as Primary Packaging? Supplier not providing TDS Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Emergency Supplier Approvals Supplier Questionaire Radiological Free statement from supplier