What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

GMO Product Label for the EU Market

Started by , Sep 01 2016 09:55 AM
4 Replies

Hi, 

we have just found out that some of the items we receive from USA contain GMO - we have to produce a label for these items for sale in EU but i cannot find  a logo or wording -

can anyone help - is it as simple as ' this item contains GMO '  or is there a logo?  I see some products with GMO -Free logo but i understand this is going to stop and doesn't help me with items that HAVE GMO

Thanks in advance  :helpplease:

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Stainless-steel grades for product-contact equipment Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor?
[Ad]

Are they authorised for sale in the EU. GMO are classified as Novel Foods and need special authorisation. Even if authorised, it is on a country by country basis if they may be sold.

yes they are - just missing the label details - just sure of wording.

Hello Giu,
Yes, there is a specific wording required. You will find it in the regulation EU 1830/2003, which you can find on the eur-lex website.
Regards
Pauline
1 Thank

Hi,

if a GMO is used as ingredient there are clear rules for declaration (1829/2003 and 1830/2003) since many years. Even cross contact is reguated (Art12 1829/2003) as long as the GMO has approval for the EU. Without such approval there is a zero tolerance.

in Germany "ohne Gentechnik" (without genetic engineering) is regulated on national level (requirements comparable to non GMO project verified in the US, but this is not a legal regulation) to put a logo on pack.

Rgds

moskito

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Stainless-steel grades for product-contact equipment Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? How would I verify my HACCP Plan for new product? Question about a Misleading label SQF 9 - Label Reconciliation Foreign Material Handling for product with meat filling Label Reconciliation problem SQF edition 9