What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to define and measure the quality parameters for salt?

Started by , Sep 18 2016 02:05 PM
4 Replies

Hai friends,

please help me to set up the quality parameters for table salt and how can we measure the saltiness??

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Using cattle salt-non food grade on a food production line Salary for Quality Control Supervisor Sea Salt Identity HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards
[Ad]

Hai friends,

please help me to set up the quality parameters for table salt and how can we measure the saltiness??

Hi Rohus,

It depends on what type of salt you have.

I suggest you google  "product specification salt", for example -

Product Specification - NaturalSalt.pdf   154.28KB   37 downloads

The measurements will require various food analysis textbooks, chemical, micro etc, eg such as Pearson for Chemical.

1 Thank

addendum

Hi Rohus,

Apologies, i missed the last word in yr OP.

I guess "saltiness" is quantifiable in 2 ways - (1) organoletically and (2) chemically.

(1) will presumably require your establishing specific reference samples to associate with yr opinion of "salty", eg  like for high, medium, low. Plus a taste panel.

(2) is conventionally measured by a titration for Cl(-) and calculation to % NaCl. This is a routine procedure but it's usefulness may depend on the desired specification. I seem to recall vacuum refined salt is > 99.X % pure. It would also be possible to measure  the Na content and calculate to  %NaCl but this will probably be less accurate.

Sometimes, for purities near 100%, the preferred methodology is to measure/total the impurities and deduct from 100%.

thank you

Dear Mr. Rohus,

In addition to the previous comments, I like to add these ones:

- The anti-caking agent, which is eventually used.

- And pay attention to the impurities, mentioned above. What kind of impurities are present? Do they present a risk to interact with your product (eg. oxidation)?

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Similar Discussion Topics
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Using cattle salt-non food grade on a food production line Salary for Quality Control Supervisor Sea Salt Identity HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards HQF Certification for Cleaning Stations: Elevating Hygiene and Quality Standards Building a Sustainable Culture of Quality and Food Safety Annual Food Safety & Quality Training Is there any method available for Cold filled and Hold process parameters