What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Dry ice blast cleaning and wet cleaning in a dry processing facility

Started by , Sep 19 2016 05:40 PM
4 Replies

Greetings,

We have a primarily dry grain processing facility, with only a steaming-rolling step and subsequent conveyors while drying that are "wet".

We are looking at utilizing dry ice blast cleaning for the "wet" areas, as well as cleaning in other parts of the plant, since it does not introduce moisture into the plant.  For the rest, we'll be using explosion-proof vacuums, as well as hand-brushing.

However, I'm still trying to figure out the best option for cleaning our floors.  Normally, one would think that wet mopping is the best option, but in the interest of keeping as little moisture as possible out of our facility, I'd like to explore other ideas.

Is dry ice blasting a practical and economic alternative for cleaning floors as well?  Since 95% of the plant is dry, do we even need to worry about floor cleaning beyond normal sweeping?  What about for the floor in the "wet" area?

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Pros vs. Cons?

Any input would be welcome!

Thanks,

Brian

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility Fumes in the Production Facility Anyone have a template for the V6 Risk Based Plan for Tanker Cleaning risk assessment? Cleaning chemical discrepancies and chemical logs Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility
[Ad]

Brian,

I don't think dry ice blasting of floors would be a good alternative.

When the dry ice hits something and sublimates, it does so at a great force. Anything on the floor would now be in the air, on your conveyors, etc.

Depending on the size of your facility, It would take a lot of money and a huge amount of time to clean floor areas with dry ice equipment.

I'd suggest a good old fashioned sweeping (or vacuuming, if practical), and then a "damp" mop if absolutely needed in the "dry" areas. Since the "wet" area is already wet, no harm in mopping in there.

Marshall

That's pretty much what I was thinking, Marshall...except that I probably didn't explain our "wet" area well enough - it's only wet inside the steam chamber, roller mill, and part of the conveyor, so the environment around it (walls, floors, etc.) stay dry for the most part, but may have some ambient moisture that could cause microbial growth...I'm thinking that maybe for this limited area, we'd dry ice blast (it's a small room, only about 100 square feet or so).

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Brian

Hi Parkz,

Some more icy thoughts here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...p-of-equipment/

Excellent - thanks, Charles!

Similar Discussion Topics
Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility Fumes in the Production Facility Anyone have a template for the V6 Risk Based Plan for Tanker Cleaning risk assessment? Cleaning chemical discrepancies and chemical logs Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Cleaning of Hoses What would be the best temperature and relative humidity for our rice mill warehouse storage facility? Magnets used in plastics packaging processing Are hair nets necessary in an enclosed processing room? Pallet treatment standards for a food facility