What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Clause 4.4 - Product inspection and laboratory testing

Started by , Oct 10 2016 11:15 AM
4 Replies

Hello,

I am developing the QMS for a Agents&Broker that buys and sells Italian cheese to the UK market.

We weant to be BRC Agent & Brokers certified but we do not know the following:

1.We buy finished and packed product from Italian manufacturers

2.Italian manufacturers do product testing and analysis

3.Manufacturers are required to complete internal specifications

4.Manufacturers are audited every year to maintain approval status

5.Product arrives in UK to our Storage and distribution services supplier

6.Product is then distributed to customers depots

In terms of clause 4.4 are we expected to carry out any product analysis?

We believe that we do not need to carry out these analysis has the product is packed and we audit our suppliers every year. Our supplier approval method means that a supplier may be approved but product may not be as we rate all analyses carried out by supplier.

Can anyone please help on what exactly BRC is looking for in this clause?

Thanks

Miguel Costa

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF Clause 5.2.1 - Artwork customer approval BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? Clause 8.5.1.2 - Characteristics of raw materials, ingredients and product contact materials FSSC 22000 Clause 2.5.1 - Management of Services and Purchased Materials
[Ad]

Hi Miguel,

There are two main issues here, food safety and product authenticity. How do you know that your products are what your suppliers tell you they are? 

Some products are more prone to counterfeiting than others (c.f. the horse-meat scandal). I would suggest that some of your cheeses might fall into this category, especially if you are making particular claims such as organic. Would you know by inspecting a package that it was not authentic? If the answer is no, you should be investigating how you can test for authenticity. Use a risk based approach to submit samples.

From a food safety perspective, how well do you trust the analysis results from your suppliers, and are you considering bacterial growth over time? Are the cheeses being kept in the conditions they should be? In my case - fruit juice - we know that summer is not a good time for transporting tankers as the load temperature rises over time, and it can take a week to reach the customer. Again, use a risk based approach, but ensure you have an approved transport and warehousing supplier as well as the approved manufacturer.

Finally, you have an opportunity to check the CofA. You will not want to do this often, but a risk based approach allows you to manage your suppliers more effectively.

Hi BrummyJim

Thanks for your insight and help.

I was wondering if you have a risk assessment template I could use.

Thanks

Hi Miguel,

Sorry, nothing I can release.

Are you aware of any free and publicly available database or website for food fraud/adulteration. I am currently only referring to RASFF but not much on there?

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF Clause 5.2.1 - Artwork customer approval BRCGS Storage and Distribution - Clause 1.1.9 BRCGS Clause 3.11.3 - Incident management test must include a recall test? Clause 8.5.1.2 - Characteristics of raw materials, ingredients and product contact materials FSSC 22000 Clause 2.5.1 - Management of Services and Purchased Materials BRCGS clause 3.5 BRCGS Clause 3.7.5 - Supply Chain Traceability FSSC 22000 Clause 2.5.7 - Environmental Monitoring Programme Addressing clause 6.1 and clause 8.1 in ISO 22000:2018 BRCGS issue 9 Clause 1.1.3 - Food Safety and Quality Objectives