What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Are metal detectors required or will magnets do?

Started by , Oct 11 2016 01:36 PM
7 Replies

Dear All,

Kindly I need your support for establishing a metal detector devices after packaging of food products is critical and fundamental for BRC system or Magnetic system before packing enough for product food safety?

Regards,

Mido

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Magnets used in plastics packaging processing
[Ad]

Dear All,

Kindly I need your support for establishing a metal detector devices after packaging of food products is critical and fundamental for BRC system or Magnetic system before packing enough for product food safety?

Regards,

Mido

Hi Mido,

Metal detection equipment shall be in place unless risk assessment demonstrates that this does not
improve the protection of final products from metal contamination. Where metal detectors are not used
justification shall be documented
. The absence of metal detection would only normally be based on
the use of an alternative, more effective method of protection (e.g. use of X-ray, fine sieves or filtration of
products).

BRC are extremely Pro-MDs.

You will need a very convincing risk assessment to avoid using a MD (or more).

As stated in other discussions:

Magnets will only attract iron and nickel.  They will not pick up any other metal such as aluminum, copper, brass, etc.

As stated in other discussions:

Magnets will only attract iron and nickel.  They will not pick up any other metal such as aluminum, copper, brass, etc.

They also will not attract most grades of stainless steel, though there are some that are magnetic.

Martha

Hi Mido,

BRC are extremely Pro-MDs.

You will need a very convincing risk assessment to avoid using a MD (or more).

We are going to try to do just that, since we have no non-ferrous metals in our production that could fracture, and we have magnets at the final packout.  We have a dry product, which also goes through a sifting process.  I have a thorough risk assessment that I will use as we move to BRC certification sometime next year.

Wish us both luck.

Martha

Thank you All.

Thank you all

We are going to try to do just that, since we have no non-ferrous metals in our production that could fracture, and we have magnets at the final packout.  We have a dry product, which also goes through a sifting process.  I have a thorough risk assessment that I will use as we move to BRC certification sometime next year.

Wish us both luck.

Martha

Hi Martha,

Just noticed yr Post and here's hoping you/Midooo have a good result.

I liked the exampled validation of a sieve's adequacy for controlling "metal hazard"  via use of a (temporarily rented?) metal detector in Codex's classic publication on Validation.

I'm unsure what has driven BRC to be quite so fixated on implementing metal detectors compared with other FS Standards. Some horsemeat type episode in the past maybe. Perhaps it's explained in the BRC Guidelines.

Similar Discussion Topics
Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Magnets used in plastics packaging processing Metal detector rejects Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? NIAS analysis required for food PET bottles and PE closures Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration