What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

If enterobacteriace is present in a sample will Ecoli be present?

Started by , Oct 22 2016 08:16 AM
3 Replies

i want to confirm that one my food sample contains enteriobacteriaace in high amount but Ecoli is not present... are the result correct or there is some error in testing. i want to confirm if EB is present than is it must that Ecoli or Coli should be present. kindly help.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Sample for distribution of Supplements finished Goods Designing Sample Request Format VOC sample Collection SOP If I change the Xray Silicon 4.0 test sample to 8.0 mm will there be any problems? Environmental risk assessment and sample quantity
[Ad]

Hi, Ammara;

Enterobacteriaceae is a very large group of microorganisms, which do include some pathogenic species. It is very possible that e. coli is absent from this sampling, however if ETB sample levels are excessive (>10^3) you may want to increase sample rate for pathogens (salmonella is another that should be screened).  

Enterobacteriaceae has replaced coliform testing as a more accurate means of evaluating environmental health, and employee hygiene.  Most organisms are harmless, and some even beneficial, so don't be too alarmed as long as pathogen screening comes back absent.

Enterobacteriaceae

i want to confirm that one my food sample contains enteriobacteriaace in high amount but Ecoli is not present... are the result correct or there is some error in testing. i want to confirm if EB is present than is it must that Ecoli or Coli should be present. kindly help.

Basically, the only way to confirm E.coli is present is to perform a specific test Procedure for E.coli (eg as in BAM) and get a confirmed positive result.

Even a negative result will not absolutely prove E.coli is absent due to sampling limitations. The appropriate terminology is usually something like "not detected" in X grams of sample, or possibly "less than Y per gram".

What Slab and Charles said.

If for whatever reason a customer/supplier/audit disagrees with this explanation. You can reference NACMCF's current thinking on the topic:

"One of the more difficult microbiological limits to establish to reflect loss of process control or 1083 insanitary conditions is that for Gram-negative bacteria, whether coliforms, fecal coliforms, 1084 Enterobacteriaceae or E. coli. Kornacki and others (Kornacki et al., 2013) provide an historical 1085 evaluation of these criteria for foods and their utility based on current knowledge. None of these 1086 Gram-negative bacteria accurately and consistently reflect fecal contamination of raw and 1087 processed foods nor are they useful or reliable as index organisms predicting the presence of pathogens."

The Kornacki reference is in the newest version of standard methods.

http://www.fsis.usda...pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Similar Discussion Topics
Sample for distribution of Supplements finished Goods Designing Sample Request Format VOC sample Collection SOP If I change the Xray Silicon 4.0 test sample to 8.0 mm will there be any problems? Environmental risk assessment and sample quantity Looking for a sample mock drill plan? Sample procedure for Movement of Static Equipment Are glass beakers for sample collection allowed? What does present in same facility mean? Procedure for customer sample requests