What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Safety Stock...to hide poor inventory control

Started by , Nov 22 2016 07:29 AM
1 Reply

Hi All,

Background. We are a cold pressed organic juice copacker. We are supposed to be working towards brc then SQF.

We recently hired a new warehouse manager and I was training him at first according to regulation and everything... since once a person is trained and sees they do not have to actually do things right they don't. I trained him to find an answer for missing or extra inventory and to have control in my opinion regarding the warehouse.

However, management felt I was too focused on regulations instead of getting it done asap.

Brings me to now... I noticed he would play with the inventory numbers to make them work and I immediately researched(receiving, production, disposal, sent inventory documents) and called him out in a meeting.  Now we have a "safety stock" of say a few hundred lbs, has anyone experience anything like this?

Am i being overly dramatic but i feel there is no actual control on the inventory since a safety net was placed for mistakes.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6
[Ad]

If your "safety stock" is finished product ready to ship - care must be taken with use by dates and customer expectations as to made on dates and delivery dates.

If your "safety stock" is WIP- Work in progress and is going to be added into the next run - your management needs to understand they have just increased the potential recall size - all lots shipped of "safety stock" plus new run lot. In addition a risk analysis of potential shelf life issues needs to be done.

I am not clear what you mean by safety stock.

Similar Discussion Topics
9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system Health & Safety Risk Assessment Developing a Workplace Safety Program