What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Advice for a new food safety assistant

Started by , Jan 04 2017 09:20 PM

MIFSQN I completely agree with you and I will try what you said, maybe slow down a little bit so people don't think that I'm trying to be better than them.

8 Replies

Hello food safety community,

I currently work at a packing house/cold storage and I'm some what new to food safety management systems. If you have any advice please feel free to message me.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Advice about employing a BRC Consultant Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program
[Ad]

Welcome to the forum.

Is there anything specific you have questions on? 

Marshall

1 Thank

Learn to see things when you look. It sounds weird, but most people don't actually see very much when they look around; they see what they expect to see and often don't notice the things they should see.

1 Thank

Welcome to the forum.

Is there anything specific you have questions on? 

Marshall

Hello Marshall,  

Yes I currently work at a packing house, I wanted to ask you how many prerequisite programs for your HACCP you have in effect.

Learn to see things when you look. It sounds weird, but most people don't actually see very much when they look around; they see what they expect to see and often don't notice the things they should see.

Hello Brummyjim,

I have a good eye for seeing what others don't see. I'm very experienced in packing house sanitation. Were I work people lack good house keeping. I'm only one person and no one likes to clean, "It's not their job" is what they tell me. That being said what advice do you have for me to get upper management to comply with the food safety managers prerequisites he has? 

Well, as we are a manufacturing facility, I would assume there are quite a bit more than a packing house.

My suggestion would be to stand off to the side and observe. You will no doubt come up with many "questions" as to why things are done the way they are.

Make notes and bring those observations up. If they are egregious violations, those can be (hopefully) be taken care of quickly. 

Marshall

2 Thanks

The way to get people on your side is to talk to them as equals. Don't talk down, it annoys them, don't talk up, it allows them to feel superior and ignore you. If no-one is cleaning, check the job descriptions; if no-one has the responsibility, raise it with the management and either get it allocated or cleaners appointed. 

2 Thanks

MIFSQN I completely agree with you and I will try what you said, maybe slow down a little bit so people don't think that I'm trying to be better than them.

Welcome to the forum.

:welcome:

Regards,

Simon

Similar Discussion Topics
Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Advice about employing a BRC Consultant Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program Advice on becoming a food safety auditor FSVP Need advice on how to proceed Food Defense Monitoring Advice Advice for maintaining bathroom and toilet hygiene Need Advice for Unannounced Audit Planning