What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Allergen Control in Storage

Started by , Jan 11 2017 01:13 PM
2 Replies

I am looking for some experienced advice on Allergen control. Our business is storage of packaging across 3 sites, however we also store drums of Tomato paste, puree for a large local business. These are stored outside away from the buildings. 

Do I require an Allergen control document for these Tomatoes? We use a dedicated trailer to move them from storage to customer.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management
[Ad]

I am looking for some experienced advice on Allergen control. Our business is storage of packaging across 3 sites, however we also store drums of Tomato paste, puree for a large local business. These are stored outside away from the buildings. 

Do I require an Allergen control document for these Tomatoes? We use a dedicated trailer to move them from storage to customer.

No, tomatoes are not seen as a major allergen.  In the US it does not require any type of allergen controls or labeling.  I believe the UK is the same, but I don't have a detailed understanding of UK allergen regulations.  I would believe it is similar or same as Canada which doesn't recognize tomato as an allergen.

Ryan M. is correct, tomato is not on the list of EU allergens and thus needs no special handling or labeling. The UK will continue to follow EU rules for at least another couple of years before we have to decide what will change post Brexit. One thing that wasn't clear to me from your post- is this being stored inside a building or outside? Any food product needs to be stored inside in a dedicated food storage facility.

Ben

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management Allergen Management Plan Lychee Nut Management as an Allergen Allergen Risk Assessment Carryover Non Allergen Allergen Label Checks