What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Hair net requirements in a facility that re-packs produce

Started by , Feb 07 2017 12:05 AM
8 Replies

I am wondering what the expectations are for hair nets in a facility where staff are responsible for re-packing produce? The staff often substitute toques for hair nets, and there is some dispute as to whether this is an acceptable substitute, or if hair nets should still be worn underneath.

Thank you in advance.  

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Are hair nets necessary in an enclosed processing room? BRCGS v.9 Food Safety 7.4.1 and 7.4.2 - Hair coverings in low risk non open product areas Risk assessment of clothing and hair policy Methods for Hair Prevention Wearing of False Eyelashes and Hair Clips in Production
[Ad]

Is there a particular food safety standard that you operate under?

Marshall

PrimusGFS 

i found in the guidelines (2.20.04) that baseball caps are permitted in packinghouses (our facility is a packinghouse), only if effective hair restraints are visible underneath. I am assuming hair nets are required under all hats/toques etc?

For the terminology challenged -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toque

Hi spannav,

Extracted from Primus Packinghouse audit guideline,V11.04 Rev 1, 2011-

1.5.4     Are employees wearing effective hair restraints?

Visual Confirmation.  Total conformance (10 points): Employees (includes maintenance employees and visitors)
should be wearing appropriate hair restraints (hairnets and beard nets and moustache covers where appropriate)
that fully contain all hair. For the purposes of this audit, hair restraints are not necessary in operations with
products that require cooking prior to consumption i.e. potatoes and/or outer layer of commodity (rind, peel, skin,
etc.) is not consumed or used as a food item in any way e.g. storage onions, garlic, etc. In all cases, wearing
effective hair restraints is best practice.  

Handlers of items that may be “ready-to-eat” e.g. green onions, stone fruit, tomatoes, citrus, etc., should wear
hairnets. Note that citrus peel is often used in drinks, used for zesting, etc., and is viewed as edible for the
purpose of this audit. Baseball caps are allowed in packinghouses only if they are clean and worn with a hair net
that is clearly visible and restrains all hair. Bobby pins, hairgrips should not be worn outside hair nets. Long hair
should be tied back for safety reasons, using a band of some type (not metal clips or pins). Hair restraints should
a) stop hair falling onto the product and b) prevent employees from touching their hair and then the product.

1 Like

Hello,

here is a link to the PrimusGFS GMP guidelines.

http://www.primusgfs..._GMPModule2.pdf

It was changed again in 2015.

In a facility that has exposed products, hairnets must be worn. Only exceptions are where product is going to be cooked (like potatoes).

see 2.20.4 on the link.

1 Thank

Further more, check CFIA regulation, the new Safe Food for Canadians regulations will apply to all regardless of third party certification

Hello,

here is a link to the PrimusGFS GMP guidelines.

http://www.primusgfs..._GMPModule2.pdf

It was changed again in 2015.

In a facility that has exposed products, hairnets must be worn. Only exceptions are where product is going to be cooked (like potatoes).

see 2.20.4 on the link.

JFconvenience -

Edition v1.0, 1 November 2015

Wearing effective hair restraints is required in all operations where product is exposed, including with
products that require cooking prior to consumption, i.e. potatoes and/or outer layer of commodity (rind,
peel, skin, etc.) that is not consumed or used as a food item in any way (e.g., storage onions, garlic, etc.).
Hair restraints are not required when there is no exposed product

Depending on your audit scheme used, I know that for PrimusGFS, yes hair nets are required regardless of the establishment

Nic

Similar Discussion Topics
Are hair nets necessary in an enclosed processing room? BRCGS v.9 Food Safety 7.4.1 and 7.4.2 - Hair coverings in low risk non open product areas Risk assessment of clothing and hair policy Methods for Hair Prevention Wearing of False Eyelashes and Hair Clips in Production Employee Hygiene Solutions for Hair Contamination Audit non conformance on clothing and hair policy risk assessment Best way to deal with a customer finding hair in your product? Can I do a risk assessment and get rid of hair nets in our dog food plant? SQF 9.0 11.4.1.2 - Hair Restraints around open product