What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Will frying a product that is GMO contaminate non-GMO oil?

Started by , Feb 15 2017 05:35 PM
4 Replies

Hello,

If I need to use a Non GMO oil to fry a product that is GMO will that contaminate the oil, so it cannot be used as a Non GMO oil no more?

Thank you,

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? How would I verify my HACCP Plan for new product? Foreign Material Handling for product with meat filling
[Ad]

I would think yes there likely would be cross contamination from the non-GMO product into the GMO oil.  This is based on what I seen sitting at the bottom of fryers and what is floating in the oil.

Just remember that Chipotle has been sued for using meat from animal that ate non-GMO grains.  The customer(s) claimed this conflicted with their statement that all of Chipotle's food was non-GMO.  No way that I believe that genetic material from a plant is incorporated into the genetic material of an animal.

However, some customers are extremely fussy - more of a "feel good" issue than a real health issue in my opinion.

So, if you have a fussy customer, you need to show that non-GMO material is never transferred to end use products.

2 Thanks
Just remember that Chipotle has been sued for using meat from animal that ate non-GMO grains. 

CMHeywood is correct, but for the sake of context, its worth noting that the class action was dismissed by the court less than 6 months after filing.

https://scholar.goog...t=2006&as_vis=1

mechmz, as always on this form, it's helpful to note whether you are trying to meet the requirements of a certification or audit scheme so that we can help provide the best answers. Off the top of my head though, essentially "mixing" ingredients with a non-identity preserved product would invalidate it's status. As far as GMO separation goes, it's safe to say you should hold it to the same cross-contamination standards as Organic.

1 Thank

Yes it becomes contaminated.

1 Thank

Hi,

there two views on this topic:

a) scientific/analytical

b) legal (US and EU might be different because there access to the general food law is different)

Frying might destroy the analytical detectability, but in the EU this is since 2004 not important. Glucose syrup or lecithin made from GMO corn/soy might not have detectable DNA but are still made from GMO and have to declared as such.

Contamination up to 0,9% is possible w/o declaration but you to demonstrate to authorities that the contamination is adventitious or technically unavoidable.

http://eur-lex.europ...03R1829&from=EN

In your apllication, contamination will occur and it will not be possible to demonstrate exclusion -> declaration necessary without limit.

That would be simliar if being GMOproject certified.

There is a general mind change in the US as the Chipotle case shows.

Rgds

moskito

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? How would I verify my HACCP Plan for new product? Foreign Material Handling for product with meat filling Intestines - Edible Meat Product? Can I use up current packaging or is new required if the product formulation has changed? What are the quality parameters that need to be included in the product specification sheet? SQF 2.6.1.2 Product changeover and label reconciliation records What are the elements that need to be included in the final product specification?