What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Detection of oil residues on surfaces by swab or fluorescence?

Started by , Feb 23 2017 06:49 PM
2 Replies

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a way to evaluate whether a surface or packaging material might have oil residues. The food grade oil on our packaging equipment fluoresces, so I can look for large spills that way, but I'd like to be able to swab a surface or a PET preform and confirm that it is free from oil residues. Is there anything like that out there technology-wise? Looking to detect trace amounts beyond "it's oily to the touch".

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Metal Detection for Mac and Cheese Cartons Containing Foil Pouches Probability of Detection with X-ray Inspection Technology Probability of Detection with X-ray Inspection Technology
[Ad]

ATP swabbing should be sufficient, if you are speaking of animal or plant-based oils, assuming they contain protein(s).  Perhaps establish a baseline positive control first by swabbing an area you know is coated in the oil, to ensure that the oil will be detected by your ATP swab system?

1 Thank

I'm curious about this too. What food grade oil do you use? We use petrogel, and ATP testing does not pick it up.

Similar Discussion Topics
BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Metal Detection for Mac and Cheese Cartons Containing Foil Pouches Probability of Detection with X-ray Inspection Technology Probability of Detection with X-ray Inspection Technology Probability of Detection with X-ray Inspection Technology Example of a Risk Assessment on metal detection versus x-ray BRC v7 4.10.1.1 Foreign body detection and removal equipment Can an undetected test piece be considered a physical hazard in a metal detection process? Leak detection Setting help