What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Testing for Salmonella in Ice Cream

Started by , Apr 07 2017 10:55 AM
9 Replies

My CEO was at a food show in Chicago this week and she hear that the FDA is starting testing ice cream for Salmonella.  Has anyone hear that yet.  I am working for a small ice cream plant. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
New Amazon Dietary Supplement Testing Policy Heavy Metals Testing Unit Conversion Establishing Limits for Compressed Air Testing Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Specific Migration testing and the alternative - screening method
[Ad]

My CEO was at a food show in Chicago this week and she hear that the FDA is starting testing ice cream for Salmonella.  Has anyone hear that yet.  I am working for a small ice cream plant. 

Do you mean more often than they have presumably been testing for it for many years ?

Actually i thought that statistically L.monocytogenes was regarded as a more significant hazard in ice cream ? Just speculating.

1 Thank

We are testing for L. Monocytogenes.  Currently we are not testing for Salmonella. 

We are testing for L. Monocytogenes.  Currently we are not testing for Salmonella. 

By "we" do you mean FDA ? Seems unlikely.

1 Like

Probably a follow on from the Cadbury's salmonella outbreak. I worked in a factory making Mondolez brand ice cream and every batch was tested for salmonella. We provided 8 pots and the lab made a composite sample for testing. A bit of a pain, but a customer requirement!

1 Thank

The Plant is testing for listeria with Swab testing. 

The Plant is testing for listeria with Swab testing. 

Hi hokey,

I presume you have a Product Specification for yr ice cream.

I anticipate that it includes non-detection of Salmonella in X gram.

IMEX Producers carry out routine micro.testing to verify their Product Specification. Some reasons - (a) HACCP verification, (b) Commercial "Self-protection", (c) Customer request, (d) Private Standard certification.

Perhaps you meant that you only do in-house swab testing for Listeria together with external micro. lab testing for XYZ ?.

1 Thank

Our in-house test we do is ATP.

The swab that we are doing we send them out to a lab to be testing for Listeria

Perhaps this will help

www.fda.gov/downloads/ICECI/Inspections/IOM/UCM123523.pdf

1 Thank

Hi scampi,

It's a nice document but the sampling density for Salmonella is unreal for normal users. Supported by ICMSF and makes statistical sense but is logistically in Lulu Land.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
New Amazon Dietary Supplement Testing Policy Heavy Metals Testing Unit Conversion Establishing Limits for Compressed Air Testing Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Specific Migration testing and the alternative - screening method Compressed air testing needed? Modified Atmospheric Packaging and Testing for Gaseous Contaminants Modified Atmospheric Packaging and Testing for Gaseous Contaminants Modified Atmospheric Packaging and Testing for Gaseous Contaminants Salmonella testing