What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Carbon-impregnated PTFE - food safety/foreign matter hazards?

Started by , Apr 20 2017 05:28 PM
2 Replies

Hello -- we are trying to purchase a blade that is: 1) safer for our employees (in terms of cuts) and 2) longer-wearing than PTFE.  We are thinking of trying a carbon-impregnated PTFE, which makes the material stronger and anti-static.  PTFE is generally considered food-safe, but with this additive, I am not sure.  The manufacturer is not providing any kind of food contact guarantees (they like to leave that up to the users!). 

Have any of you had experience with this or similar materials?

Thanks!

Robyn

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Looking for a an effective cleaning method for High Carbon Stainless Steel? Using Sodium Hydroxide to clean: Drano vs a carbon soak? Nitrogen (NO2,NOx) in Carbon Dioxide Production Cleaning Activated Carbon Filter with Caustic Soda (NaOH) How to sanitize the carbon bed of the activated carbon filter?
[Ad]

We haven't used PTFE-based knives but we have fillers before, the problem is it flaked off after a period of time and can be a potential contaminant. We stopped using it.

1 Thank

Hi Robyn

It is the requirement for almost very food standard  that any material which come into direct food contact must be me made from approved food grade ingredients and suppliers of such material must provide a certificate of conformance that the materials is food grade. In the absence of such food contact guarantees  my advise is not to use these knifes.

Dr. Humaid Khan

Managing Director

Halal  International Services

Beverly Hills NSW Australia

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Looking for a an effective cleaning method for High Carbon Stainless Steel? Using Sodium Hydroxide to clean: Drano vs a carbon soak? Nitrogen (NO2,NOx) in Carbon Dioxide Production Cleaning Activated Carbon Filter with Caustic Soda (NaOH) How to sanitize the carbon bed of the activated carbon filter? How to reduce Carbon Dioxide Yield Losses in Soda? Is Carbon Monoxide a Hazard for Nitrogen? Foreign Objects Carbon in Blown Film Manufacture Carbon Dioxide Discharge onto Food and Food Contact Surfaces Difference between anthracite & activated carbon in filtration?