What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Natural / clean dec shelf life improvers / preservatives

Started by , May 24 2017 12:04 PM
6 Replies

Hi All,

have any of you had any success with shelf life extender ingredients which can be declared on pack in a "clean dec" way?  I'm particularly interested in applications in high fat foods and cheese.

TIA.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Artificial and natural ingredients Natural Colors and Ingredient Statements Source of Natural Flavor - always proprietary information? What is the process for removing a Natural Health Number? 100% Natural Claim on Breaded Fish
[Ad]

Please clarify "clean dec", you mean avoiding calling it a preservative? Or just more consumer friendly ingredients?

In USA Natamycin is very popular with cheese products for mold control. It qualifies for "natural" claims and doesn't show up on google's playlist of "avoid this!" posts that traditional sorbates and benzoates do. I can't speak to oxidation as much since it's out of my wheelhouse, but if you truly want to add cost to your product to extend shelf life, start with your packaging. Packaging changes won't affect your label/ingredients, and can make a HUGE difference in shelf life. Learn more about the layers in your packaging and their various permeabilities, and talk to your supplier about other options and cost.

Natamycin is very much not clean dec in the UK.  The kind of ingredients I'm thinking about are ones I could put on a label and it to look like something a consumer would have in their cupboard.  I'm most interested in people who have experience in using things like this mixed into high fat or protein products at packing stage like meats, fats etc.

Check out Danisco for "Clean" label preservatives.

http://www.danisco.c...antimicrobials/

Hi GMO,

CHR Hansen also have a product range:

http://www.chr-hanse...on/our-products

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanks, not quite what I'm after, more prepared cheese products?  Or even other high protein / fat applications?  Ready meals might be a better analogy.

Hai Tony and all,

Can you help me to give a reference Natamicyn is safe for food & Beverage ? 

I'm try to extend shelf life product yoghurt with this. 

Thank you

Fara

Similar Discussion Topics
Artificial and natural ingredients Natural Colors and Ingredient Statements Source of Natural Flavor - always proprietary information? What is the process for removing a Natural Health Number? 100% Natural Claim on Breaded Fish Vegan Natural Butter Flavor Labelling How to Preserve pineapple and papaya natural Juice for 6 months If we incorrectly declare All Natural on a label, must we conduct a recall? Safe Limits of Natural Sulfites in Dehydrated Potatoes? Seeking Guidance on Importing Natural Health Products into Canada