What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Consulting vs. Cert Body

Started by , Jun 28 2017 05:15 PM
7 Replies

What is the difference between hiring an SQF consulting firm and choosing the certification body? It looks like they both provide gap analysis etc.? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role SQF Training and Consulting What type of legal assistance do you use for your consulting services? E-Learning, Webinars, Online consulting - general discussion BRC Help - Consulting a pie factory!
[Ad]

A certification body conduct's the actual audit to issue you your certificate/accreditation. A consultant works for your company and helps you make/improve your system. A consultant cannot perform the audit that gives you the certification, however someone else in their organization may be able to do so.

Especially with the larger Certifying Bodies, they will have a division or department of consultants, which is entirely separate from their certification personnel.

Certification bodies service the certification and provide the auditors.

Granted both an auditor and a consultant can provide a gap analysis the difference would be that the auditor can tell you what's wrong, but the consultant will tell you what is wrong.... and then provide consulting on how to go about fixing the issue.

An auditior is bound by SQFI rules and regulations to not step over the line and enter into a consulting mode.

Having been one of the first SQF Auditors in the USA I know that very well and their were countless times when people wanted me to blur that line or step over it.

I understand that some have consultant divisions, however see it (no matter how removed) as collusive.

If you need a consultant get one, if you want an auditor contact one of the CB's.

We actually recommend to our clients that when the time comes for certification they have a cb provide an auditor to run the pre cert audit... that way this will be the same auditor that comes back and does the actual certification audit.

Certification bodies service the certification and provide the auditors.

Granted both an auditor and a consultant can provide a gap analysis the difference would be that the auditor can tell you what's wrong, but the consultant will tell you what is wrong.... and then provide consulting on how to go about fixing the issue.

An auditior is bound by SQFI rules and regulations to not step over the line and enter into a consulting mode.

Having been one of the first SQF Auditors in the USA I know that very well and their were countless times when people wanted me to blur that line or step over it.

I understand that some have consultant divisions, however see it (no matter how removed) as collusive.

If you need a consultant get one, if you want an auditor contact one of the CB's.

We actually recommend to our clients that when the time comes for certification they have a cb provide an auditor to run the pre cert audit... that way this will be the same auditor that comes back and does the actual certification audit.

I was a bit confused by the gap /pre-assessment that we've been quoted while shopping for our CB. I am leaning toward wanting to find a consultant since this is our initial cert after having AIB for around 10 years and I just feel a bit unsteady about our documentation lol. Where could I find a reputable source for SQF consultants?

I was a bit confused by the gap /pre-assessment that we've been quoted while shopping for our CB. I am leaning toward wanting to find a consultant since this is our initial cert after having AIB for around 10 years and I just feel a bit unsteady about our documentation lol. Where could I find a reputable source for SQF consultants?

Well gee.  

:giggle: 

I probably does not make a huge difference as the code is the same for everyone but we think it was beneficial to have the consultant from the same Certification Body that audited us. Even though the consultant can not be your auditor they come from the same information base and expectations as each certification body does provide training for their consultants and auditors.  

Similar Discussion Topics
Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role SQF Training and Consulting What type of legal assistance do you use for your consulting services? E-Learning, Webinars, Online consulting - general discussion BRC Help - Consulting a pie factory!