What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Total fat - NMR system?

Started by , Jul 17 2017 01:46 PM
4 Replies

Hi All.

We are thinking about changing our current acid hydrolysis and sohxlet principle total fat method onto something a bit more efficient. I've looked at NIR, but am thinking that NMR might be best as we analyse foods of different matrices such as ready meals and individual components of these.

Does anyone have experience of NMR systems that they would be happy to recommend or equally advise to avoid? I don't have experience of such and would have to take into account saleman talk etc so it would be great to hear what people who actually use the kit think.

Many thanks

Pops

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Total Residual Solvents for Flexible Packaging Materials Total Acidity Testing - different batch styles different results? Total Oil - sources of contamination and how to test Total Oil - sources of contamination and how to test Total Oil - sources of contamination and how to test
[Ad]

Hi All.

We are thinking about changing our current acid hydrolysis and sohxlet principle total fat method onto something a bit more efficient. I've looked at NIR, but am thinking that NMR might be best as we analyse foods of different matrices such as ready meals and individual components of these.

Does anyone have experience of NMR systems that they would be happy to recommend or equally advise to avoid? I don't have experience of such and would have to take into account saleman talk etc so it would be great to hear what people who actually use the kit think.

Many thanks

Pops

Hi Pops,

It probably costs a small fortune unless times have changed

Yes, these things generally do. Times haven't changed that much in that respect.... :smile:

Hi Pops,

We actually use NMR to measure total fat/oil in dry baking mixes.  What we have learned is each product will probably need it's own calibration which is time consuming to initially set up.  Good news is that once the calibrations are set up, you shouldn't have to mess with them again.  We looked at two systems, one made by Bruker and the other made by Oxford.  We ended up purchasing the Oxford system because the reproducibility and accuracy were better for our products.  Hope this helps.

I had previously used SmartTrac by CEM and had good success.  As MuffinMan noted above, it does take a while to set up the programs, but after that the analyses take only minutes.

Similar Discussion Topics
Total Residual Solvents for Flexible Packaging Materials Total Acidity Testing - different batch styles different results? Total Oil - sources of contamination and how to test Total Oil - sources of contamination and how to test Total Oil - sources of contamination and how to test Total Plate Count Can the Quality Manager/SQF Practitioner conduct a total audit? Thermotolerant coliforms stated as total coliforms. Significant error? Acceptable level of total coliforms for ready-to-eat grains? Total Coliform Count in Frozen Produce