What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Trying to find a food safe knife for opening bags

Started by , Jul 19 2017 02:23 PM
5 Replies

I saw other threads around this topic but couldn't find one that actually addressed my question so I'm starting a new thread:

What kinds of knives are you using to open 50lb bags of sugar, flour, etc? I saw a comment about Martor in another thread, I tried them, but the body is made of aluminum and it leaves our mixers' gloves black over several uses. They use this gloved hand to touch our dough once the mix is done, and I can't have residue in the product. I tried another safety knife that is stainless http://www.safecutti...fety-knife.html , I liked this but you have to change the blade orientation for left handed or right handed, so people have been using it improperly and losing the blade, or spring very easily. 

I just don't know what other knife to use, I even tried a ring knife but the mixers are afraid of them because they don't retract. I need something that will not leave a residue on anyone's hands but is sturdy and doesn't fall apart easily. The requirements I look for in a knife are as follows. Am I expecting too much?

-stainless steel body, or metal detectable plastic (we have X-rays on the lines)

-solid blade so it can't break

-safety so it can't cut employees

-at least 3/4" exposed blade, otherwise people complain that it snags the bags 

I have found shorter bladed knives with metal detectable bodies but they complain about the blade length, we even cut the OLFA SK12 down a bit and adjust to expose more blade.

Thank you! 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
food safety 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention Repackaging of Food Grade product Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]

One of these should work:

https://www.mcmaster...knives/=18kgscf

go to the self retracting one. We prefer A.

@ Tracey We have challenges with this type but our Health and Safety team won't allow regular knives at all. How do you clean those retractable knives to prevent cross contamination of allergens or just product buildup in the grooves and blade area? 

You may want to think about buying colour coded knives for allergen control  you can find that in a retractable format

Here's a whole host of MD knives

https://www.safetybo...nives-cutters-2

Try a ceramic utility knife blade to open 50lb paper and plastic bags with a half circle cut in the middle of the bag.  Ceramic is expensive but will produce better cuts longer with less risk of paper or plastic foreign material in the batch/blend.  Here's an example.

Slice Ceramic Utility Blades Rounded Tip (6 Packs of 2) 10524 - The Home Depot

Use stainless steel knife.

Similar Discussion Topics
food safety 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention Repackaging of Food Grade product Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan Food contact surfaces