What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How do we validate a new metal detector?

Started by , Jul 24 2017 01:58 AM
9 Replies

Hi how do we validate a new metal detector? thanks

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
False Positive Metal Detection Reject Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces
[Ad]

Hi how do we validate a new metal detector? thanks

Hi Ariate,

Do you mean validation of the sensitivity ?

If so, you use standard test pieces of different sizes / compositions.

You can check against the US FDA Section 555.425 - Foods: Adulteration Involving Hard or Sharp Foreign Objects.

Hi Ariatejg,

You need to know your limits first (ferrous, non-ferrous, stainless steel, etcetera, quantified).

The objective of the validation study is to prove that your metal detector will "detect" the limits that you have identified in your CCP or oPRP plan. You may want to ask your supplier if they have a template that you can use for data gathering - most of them already have these and are very willing to help wrt these documentations.

Regards,

Sigrid

You can check against the US FDA Section 555.425 - Foods: Adulteration Involving Hard or Sharp Foreign Objects.

Hi Yong,

i deduce you may have meant validate a "reason" for using a metal detector.

Or perhaps you meant how to validate maximum size  limits for US-regarded hazardous foreign materials ? (potentially 0,7mm depending on the situation)

It's a very flexible word is "validate"

Hi Yong,

i deduce you may have meant validate "reason" for using a metal detector.

Or perhaps you meant how to validate maximum size  limits for US-regarded hazardous foreign materials ? (potentially 0,7mm depending on the situation)

It's a very flexible word is "validate"

Dear Charles C:

I think ARIATEJG must be asking the way to validate the size of the selected test pieces for the "NEW" metal detector instead of the 'reason' of having a new metal detector. So, I suggested the use of US FDA Section 555.425. Ha...ha.....ha...

Yong  

1 Thank

thanks for the replies. What do I need to consider aside from the test pieces? Do we need a sample of actual metal (e.g. parts of machine)? Do we need to consider the location, the area temperature? other factors? thanks

Hi Ariate,

If you mean to validate the sensitivity of your metal detector, you must first identify your standard size for metal contaminants, have standard test pieces and procedure to assess your metal detector's ability to detect and reject these test pieces.

Regards,

Ich Bin Gnade

Hi Ariate,

If you mean to validate the sensitivity of your metal detector, you must first identify your standard size for metal contaminants, have standard test pieces and procedure to assess your metal detector's ability to detect and reject these test pieces.

Regards,

Ich Bin Gnade

See Post 2.

@ Yong, Yes but see Post 7. I think the OP is currently searching for almost "everything". FDA is probably the next level.

thanks for the replies. What do I need to consider aside from the test pieces? Do we need a sample of actual metal (e.g. parts of machine)? Do we need to consider the location, the area temperature? other factors? thanks

Dear Ariarte,

With due respect, I suggest you urgently read some of the many attachments supplied by Metal Detector companies available on this Forum. They  provide excellent introductions to the basics of using/validating Metal detectors and in far more detail than can be put into single Posts..

Similar Discussion Topics
False Positive Metal Detection Reject Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Metal detector rejects Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration Metal Detector Validation Can you get SQF Certification without a Metal Detector?