What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Are wire bound memo pads a contamination risk?

Started by , Aug 23 2017 12:43 PM
9 Replies

I had an employee ask me for a composition book instead of a wire bound notebook as he felt the wire binding could break and pose a foreign material risk, this had never occurred to me so I ordered him what he asked for.

Does anyone ban these in there facility? I can see his point and am considering doing away with these.

I'v emailed the manufacturer to inquire about wear and tear testing on the binding to use in a risk assessment ...

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree Environmental Monitoring Risk Assessment Ingredient risk assesment Example of a risk assessment template
[Ad]

Interesting, and quite the thinker you got on staff!  (I still have to convince management we can't use wooden tools.)  I would say it is fine, especially if it is not aluminum, and you have magnets and detectors it should be fine, same chance as a spline of a composition notebook coming unraveled.  I use metal clipboards, and store daily log sheets in binders up in the office at the end of shift.  

we also switched to metal clipboards but we do not have any magnets or metal detectors in our facility.

Why bother with the risk, do away with the them.

We had a client that used wired notebooks for years until one day half of a spiral ended up in a loaf of bread - detected of course before it was shipped.

I'd be less concerned about the wires than the little paper shreds that show up when the bound edge of the pages starts wearing out and/or pages are torn out. The wire likely isn't going anywhere but those little bits of paper from the edge of the page attached to it get everywhere.

my company has banned wire bound notepads from production areas. We never considered the risk from the wire itself. We were concerned about the tiny fragments of paper when a page is torn out.

I forgot to say we also use metal clipboards as an alternative

We also banned them in my current & previous companies. Metal clipboards are the way forward and would please an auditor. Im with FurFarmandFork, id be more worried about all the little bits of paper that get everywhere. all it takes is someone to brush past and help the little blighters into a product

I don't allow them for the same reason FurFarmandFork stated.  I've had auditors bring them in and I allow it after inspection and removal of any paper bits.  I had a regulatory inspector bring one full of paper clips. I made him remove all the paper clips and leave them in the office.  Thankfully it wasn't held against me.

We are ruthless lol! We don't allow inspectors of any kind (trading standards, EHO, BRC auditors Customers etc) to take note pads etc or their own pens around with them. They are given a metal clipboard, some sheets of standard A4 paper and a couple of our own metal detectable pens. Again I don't think this has ever been held against us .

Similar Discussion Topics
Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree Environmental Monitoring Risk Assessment Ingredient risk assesment Example of a risk assessment template Health & Safety Risk Assessment Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Is pulling the cords out from the ear buds a risk to contamination? Stainless Steel Chain Mail Scour Pads Anyone have a template for the V6 Risk Based Plan for Tanker Cleaning risk assessment?