What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Water sampling in a winery

Started by , Sep 06 2017 01:52 PM
3 Replies

Afternoon IFSQN, 

I know its been mentioned before but for some reason i just can't get my head around it. I've read the previous forums info but it just won't compute in my small Welsh brain.

I'm testing potable water in a winery, its added to alcohol & goes through micron filters so haven't been too worried. Recently the results straight from tap in TVC 2 & 3 days are >1000 cfu/ml. (Before we do anything with it)

Should i be worried that they are >1000cfu/ml for TVC,  purely in the context of water supply before we process it?

Do we see differences in results depending on where we are in the year?

What is a reasonable result and what are good/ok/bad limits?

We routenly test final products and they are all clean due to our processes.

Cheers

DW

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Glove Dip Station filled with water and chlorine - is this normal? OPP Packaging leavening milky residue when in contact with water Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Specifications for Micro Testing of Water used in Food Production Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5%
[Ad]

There are varying standards for TVC/HPC/APC in water, but all of them state that it isn't a food safety indicator.

Most likely contamination points would be holding tanks or hoses/faucets. Are these counts from your pipe direct, are there any attachments/areation screens/hoses between your actual pipes and the sample point? TDS testing compared to your water provider could also help you tell if a pipe has cracked underground.

Is your water source a well or a municipal supply? Wells can get fouled and require treatment.

Hi FurFarmandFork

A municiple source, it confuses me as its edged up over the last few months. Like i said im not worried about the product purely as nothing could servive in the environment but am interested why it happens and what would trigger some kind of action

cheers

DW

Afternoon IFSQN, 

I know its been mentioned before but for some reason i just can't get my head around it. I've read the previous forums info but it just won't compute in my small Welsh brain.

I'm testing potable water in a winery, its added to alcohol & goes through micron filters so haven't been too worried. Recently the results straight from tap in TVC 2 & 3 days are >1000 cfu/ml. (Before we do anything with it)

Should i be worried that they are >1000cfu/ml for TVC,  purely in the context of water supply before we process it?

Do we see differences in results depending on where we are in the year?

What is a reasonable result and what are good/ok/bad limits?

We routenly test final products and they are all clean due to our processes.

Cheers

DW

Hi DW,

So what are the legislatory micro. requirements for potable water in UK ? (I think the topic has been discussed here earlier).

For EC, afaik, there are specific TVC (inter alia) count requirements for process water which will contact "food". The (2) TVC limits vary with the measurement temperature however, from memory, i think yr quoted value is substantially (~ 10x)  greater than the higher of the 2 values.

Similar Discussion Topics
Glove Dip Station filled with water and chlorine - is this normal? OPP Packaging leavening milky residue when in contact with water Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Specifications for Micro Testing of Water used in Food Production Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% Water hoses and nozzles - maintenance and cleaning schedule Customer complaints for excess water in onions Shipping of salted casings and water retention regulation Is Water testing required for SQF Storage and Distribution site? Water testing at new facility