What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How often should we change our brooms?

Started by , Sep 15 2017 02:26 PM
7 Replies
Hello all ,
We are a vegetable process company, I was wondering how often should we change our brooms ? What are the regulations about it considering food safety.

Thank you!
Alina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
If I change the Xray Silicon 4.0 test sample to 8.0 mm will there be any problems? Reformulation change and use up of film Sanitation - suppliers of food grade brushes, brooms, and scrubs How to Change Old Habits Want to change user name
[Ad]

We test our brooms and other stuff like this for listeria about once a month. 

Hi,

Can you please tell where and for what purpose do you use broom? 

Regards,

Rams

Straw or plastic/rubber brooms?

When its not ok for use. Maybe after 6 months.

I suggest conducting a microbial and pathogen study to use the worst case scenario in your facility possible.  The study would outline where the broom is used, type of environment, how it is stored, how it is handled before, during and after use, and what potentially are your acceptable micro limits.  Pathogen limits would be negative.  Where (what surfaces) the broom is used is very important, such as product contact, walls, floors, exterior of equipment, storage areas only, etc.

You also want to have some type of limit around the actual structure of the broom such as damaged to the point where it needs to be changed.

When designing our MCS, I took into consideration that we are a distribution center, so we don't process or manufacture raw product.

I evaluate all warehouse equipment monthly, any worn, excessively used cleaning implements (e.g. brooms, mops) are discarded.

I've since purchased brooms and mops that have detachable heads, since the brooms and mops are colored coded, just replacing the 

bristles and mopheads saves money. A much easier way to manage.

As often as needed when they are no longer in good repair or can be maintained in a sanitary condition. Create an inspection schedule rather than a "replacement" schedule.

Similar Discussion Topics
If I change the Xray Silicon 4.0 test sample to 8.0 mm will there be any problems? Reformulation change and use up of film Sanitation - suppliers of food grade brushes, brooms, and scrubs How to Change Old Habits Want to change user name Management of Change Procedure and Reference Cranberry Color Change When a company changes name how quickly do we need to change labels? Glass light bulb change policy Change of light trap and tin cat glue boards