What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Standard E.coli count in Coconut Milk

Started by , Sep 17 2017 05:34 AM
11 Replies

Hi Everyone! Does anyone know the std e.coli count on coconut milk. My results for E.coli test shows "<3.0", what does it mean? I cant find a Microbiological  Standard for coconut milk. Thank You!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Microbiological Test Standard Ice cream standard Standard Bread Baking Method Does anyone have a really good template for a standard operating procedure work instruction?
[Ad]

Coconut milk is prepared through spray dried process and heat process ensure the minimum count unless final product is cross contaminated. 

1 Thank

Coconut milk is prepared through spray dried process and heat process ensure the minimum count unless final product is cross contaminated. 

We don't undergo spray dried since its only for "powdered" finished product. We just extract the coconut milk and subject it to blast freezer.

Maybe try this thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...specifications/

Dear Roxcil Malaque,

To give an answer to your specific question:

-  E.coli test shows "<3.0" --> It is a way to express, that there were no colonies of E.coli found in the 3rd decimal dilution. More simply, it means:

E.coli < 103 (CFU*) / 1 ml product

or

E.coli < 1000 (CFU) / 1 ml product

*CFU = Colony Forming Unit

I hope that now it is more clear for you, what has been mentioned on the document.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

1 Thank

Dear Roxcil Malaque,

To give an answer to your specific question:

-  E.coli test shows "<3.0" --> It is a way to express, that there were no colonies of E.coli found in the 3rd decimal dilution. More simply, it means:

E.coli < 103 (CFU*) / 1 ml product

or

E.coli < 1000 (CFU) / 1 ml product

*CFU = Colony Forming Unit

I hope that now it is more clear for you, what has been mentioned on the document.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Thanks Gerard! This can help a lot!

You're welcome! Have a nice day!

Hi Gerard,

There is another possible interpretation to the number in OP.

The number may refer to a standard MPN test with no positive tubes (0-0-0), ie no detected activity, or statistically speaking,  <3.0 cfu/gram

Since this is for E.coli I sincerely hope the MPN version is nearer the truth. :smile:

2 Thanks

Hi Charles,

Thanks a lot for your additional and helpful comments!

Kind regards,

Gerard

Dear Roxcil,

Please check the answer from Charles C. above, as it is really nearer to the truth. I found some tables from the USDA, where the combinations are explained:

https://www.fsis.usd...pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

1 Thank

HI Everyone! Thank you for being so interactive, its appreciated. 

1 Thank

Is there anything else that goes with the "<3.0" number?  I ask because if there is a CFU/mL or CFU/gm after that it is very different than the 3 decimal places (logs) another poster mentioned.

Further, it really depends on the product and the process.  If the ingredient comes in with a low level of e.coli (which it should) and you have a treatment step, such as blast freezing, then you really should see any e.coli unless there is regrowth during or after thawing.

Similar Discussion Topics
Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Microbiological Test Standard Ice cream standard Standard Bread Baking Method Does anyone have a really good template for a standard operating procedure work instruction? ASDA manufacturing standard How to comply with the standard of not storing product directly on the floor? Latest version of Yum standard Australia Standard for Environment Swabs Interpretation of APHA standard for APC in air