What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

COOKED HAM : How to determine % of meat in final product

Started by , Sep 22 2017 06:08 AM
2 Replies

Hello all! First post! 

I am doing a label review and I am trying to determine the % of meat declared on the labels and got stuck at cooked hams.

I know the formula is  :

ingoing weight of ingredient / weight of all ingoing ingredients  x 100

As we know cooked hams undergo moisture loss after cooking. Does anyone know how to calculate the % of meat in finished product declared on the label,  

I am referring to FSANZ Standard 1.2.10  -5 it says:

Calculating proportion of a characterising ingredients where moisture loss occurs
If moisture loss occurs in the processing of a food, the proportion of a characterising ingredient in the food may be calculated taking into account any such moisture loss, on the basis of the weight of the characterising ingredient in the food.

Hope my explanations are clear, if anything let me know your thoughts ! 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care Is touching boxes and par cooked bacon allowed while scaling and packaging? Fully cooked chicken zone decision HACCP plan for cooked meals Could foods home cooked with oil be stored in the fridge for more than four days?
[Ad]

USDA has a helpful table and associated study/methods for calucating cooking yields that may be helpful as you figure out what math makes the most sense for your product.

https://www.google.c...chrome&ie=UTF-8

Good luck!

Have a look towards the end of this: https://www.fsai.ie/faq/quid.html or use the attached calculator!

Attached Files

Similar Discussion Topics
BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care Is touching boxes and par cooked bacon allowed while scaling and packaging? Fully cooked chicken zone decision HACCP plan for cooked meals Could foods home cooked with oil be stored in the fridge for more than four days? Help with raised micro issues on cooked meat How to respond to quality complaints relating to cooked products supplied raw? Cooked Chicken Water Retention Controlling raw, cooked and cooking in a Donner Kebab factory Cooked Rice Products, Bacillus Cereus and Clostridium Botulinum