What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

CCP Validation / 80 mesh for Physical Contamination

Started by , Oct 24 2017 08:41 AM
3 Replies

Hi to everyone

I am working in sugar boiled confectionery products. in process, we are passing the syrup through 80 mesh for filtering  the physical contamination like dust, stone. We used to follow two methodology to validate the CCP and the same is mentioned below. Kindly suggest any other methodology to validate 80 mesh.

Methodology: 

1. Ash content of over – flow and under –flow of samples were checked and compared to observe reduction in ash content after filtration. 

2. Syrup sample contaminated with sand powder of various particle sizes. Filtered through 80 mesh filter and the particle size in the filtered sample was  checked. to ensure that no particle of size above 177 microns in present in the filtrate.

Thanks in Advance.

Moorthi Aruchamy

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF 2.5.1 Validation and Effectiveness Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Is pulling the cords out from the ear buds a risk to contamination? Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration Verification & Validation - scheduling, methods, etc.
[Ad]

Hi to everyone

I am working in sugar boiled confectionery products. in process, we are passing the syrup through 80 mesh for filtering  the physical contamination like dust, stone. We used to follow two methodology to validate the CCP and the same is mentioned below. Kindly suggest any other methodology to validate 80 mesh.

Methodology: 

1. Ash content of over – flow and under –flow of samples were checked and compared to observe reduction in ash content after filtration. 

2. Syrup sample contaminated with sand powder of various particle sizes. Filtered through 80 mesh filter and the particle size in the filtered sample was  checked. to ensure that no particle of size above 177 microns in present in the filtrate.

Thanks in Advance.

Moorthi Aruchamy

Hi Moorthi,

CCPs are based on safety risk assessment.

From the above info, I am dubious that hazards 1,2 would be risk-associated with CCPs.

How do I validate a filter?

If you are producing product for the United States, FDA released an article long ago about foreign material contamination maximum size for injury. It states that anything under 7 mm is not a hazard. By this thinking, 80 mesh screen would obviously accomplish this goal. I will paste a link to this document from FDA below. 

https://www.fda.gov/...t/ucm074554.pdf

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF 2.5.1 Validation and Effectiveness Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Is pulling the cords out from the ear buds a risk to contamination? Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration Verification & Validation - scheduling, methods, etc. Metal Detector Validation What should be included in a cook validation? Trader Joe’s dumplings recall due to possible contamination with hard plastic from a permanent marker What is meant by an SQFI Validation Audit? Validation of prerequisites such as pest control