What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Tree bark - used in extracts

Started by , Feb 09 2018 08:36 PM
3 Replies

Hello All, 

I recently moved to an extract and flavoring manufacturer and have no previous experience with this sector of the industry.  I am having a hard time determining how to classify tree bark to determine hazards and supplier/ingredient requirements.  I have been through the FDA's Guidance docs and i don't think it really falls under spices, nuts, or food additives - though of course the finished product falls nicely under the food additive category.  

Does anyone have experience/knowledge that they would be willing to share?  

thanks in advance, 

Elizabeth 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree Tree Nuts Allergen Validation for Chocolate Manufacturing Facility Document Structure for Hazard Analysis Worksheet and CCP Decision Tree Cleaning Between Allergens - Tree Nut to Peanuts Question 4 in Decision Tree of FSSC 22000
[Ad]

Cinnamon and Cassia (off the top of the head) are classified as spices, both coming from bark. Cassia is sometimes confused with Cinnamon, but it is most certainly different and used in a number of dishes from India.

Technically speaking your bark spices would fall under Spices of course but also could fall under food additives if made a part of a mixture, etc.

Another item that comes from bark is Aspirin, from the willow tree.

1 Thank

I'd classify them as raw agricultural products if they go through no microbial reduction treatments, and spices would also be a good surrogate. You could then use the FSMA potential hazards table as a guide for evaluating the hazards associated. Look at each one individually and see if it falls into the same types of hazards as a raw commodity, milled grain, or spice and approach accordingly.

Did someone say spices?  FDA updated the risk assessment with some spices.  See links below.

https://www.fda.gov/...CampaignId=1773

http://jfoodprotecti...2f69ba8&elqat=1

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree Tree Nuts Allergen Validation for Chocolate Manufacturing Facility Document Structure for Hazard Analysis Worksheet and CCP Decision Tree Cleaning Between Allergens - Tree Nut to Peanuts Question 4 in Decision Tree of FSSC 22000 Changeover from Tree Nut to Tree Nut May Contain Tree Nuts - Plain English Allergen Labelling Contains statement regarding Tree Nuts FDA Decision Tree for complaint handling Updating 2nd Principle HACCP Decision Tree