What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Allergen/Hazard Risk Analysis

Started by , Feb 12 2018 07:34 PM
3 Replies

HI All, 

So we are a Tea Company that only repackages raw material and tea is a very low risk product.  We basically receive the tea in bulk and repack to resell.  We have well over 100 sku's along with tea bags as well as gift sets.

We have a strong supplier approval in which all my vendors have either SQF certifications or a really strong HACCP plan and GMP's in place.  

My question is that I wrote out our HACCP plan and have no CCP's and did a hazard analysis on all my processes.  One of the only risks we have preventative control measures on are allergens.  As far as doing a Allergen Hazard Risk Assessment do I have to do that on ALL of our sku's? Or can I break the tea down to variations ex: green, black, oolong and write it out that way?      

We do not have any allergens based on what we receive from our suppliers and their specs on the product.  I still have a SOP on how to receive, segregate and handle allergens if that day comes that we decide to carry them. 

Thank you in advance

John

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management
[Ad]

Break it down by segment.

1 Thank

HI All, 

So we are a Tea Company that only repackages raw material and tea is a very low risk product.  We basically receive the tea in bulk and repack to resell.  We have well over 100 sku's along with tea bags as well as gift sets.

We have a strong supplier approval in which all my vendors have either SQF certifications or a really strong HACCP plan and GMP's in place.  

My question is that I wrote out our HACCP plan and have no CCP's and did a hazard analysis on all my processes.  One of the only risks we have preventative control measures on are allergens.  As far as doing a Allergen Hazard Risk Assessment do I have to do that on ALL of our sku's? Or can I break the tea down to variations ex: green, black, oolong and write it out that way?      

We do not have any allergens based on what we receive from our suppliers and their specs on the product.  I still have a SOP on how to receive, segregate and handle allergens if that day comes that we decide to carry them. 

Thank you in advance

John

Hi John,

JFI I enclose an example of a haccp plan for tea.

The plan has 3 CCPs. As presented, the hazard analyses for all 3 CCPs are IMO flawed however the 2nd/3rd ones might be validatable if appropriately "hazard analysed".

haccp plan tea.pdf   119.6KB   213 downloads

3 Thanks

As suggested, break it down by groupings, don't have to do individually.

I would say, get more information from your suppliers on allergens such as if they have any shared equipment with allergens and the materials you purchase from them.  Or other allergens in their facility.  You need this information to determine actual risk and may consider doing spot testing of raw materials you bring in from various suppliers based on allergen risk with different allergens.  This is actually going to be more important as the PC rule of FSMA comes into enforcement.

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management Allergen Management Plan Lychee Nut Management as an Allergen Allergen Risk Assessment Carryover Non Allergen Allergen Label Checks