What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF 11.9.1.5 Disposal of Trademarked Material

Started by , Mar 28 2018 06:50 PM
9 Replies

Hi All,

Our pre-assessment auditor commented that we need a procedure for the disposal of trademarked materials per code section 11.9.1.5.

11.9.1.5 Where applicable, a documented procedure shall be in place for the controlled disposal of trademarked materials. Where a contracted disposal service is used, the disposal process shall be reviewed regularly to confirm compliance.

Any suggestions on what the best method for disposal of trademarked material is?

Thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Checking frozen incoming material using digital probe thermometer Use of confirmed OOS material in other projects Foreign Material Handling for product with meat filling Hazard of Using Aluminum Foil as Packaging Material Mixed Pallet - Raw Material
[Ad]

We (ahem) burn ours. There are professional shredding companies like Iron Mountain that you could have pick up material to be destroyed. 

Kate - you just need a confirmation from the disposal company as to how they process your trademarked items.

That confirmation can be in the form of a written letter for instance on their company letterhead and signed by ownership or senior management that your trademarked material is destroyed by fire, shredding, etc.

Most of our disposal companies had not been exposed to this so we developed a "form letter" we send them that they can copy to their letter head and send back to us signed. This is of course only AFTER we validate an appropriate procedure for handling our trademarked waste.

1 Thank

Hoosiersmoker - would you be able to share that form letter with me?

I think we redacted it from one of our recyclers a few years ago.

See attached

Attached Files

1 Like5 Thanks

Hi,

How do you validate your procedure for handling trademarked waste? Thank you.

Most of our disposal companies had not been exposed to this so we developed a "form letter" we send them that they can copy to their letter head and send back to us signed. This is of course only AFTER we validate an appropriate procedure for handling our trademarked waste.

We just have the recycler send us a new letter each year per procedure. Never having customer complaints or trademarked materials turning up validates the procedure.Also, if you get a LOD annually from each, if that's what your procedure says, and the letter describes how they handle the trademarked materials that's really all the validation you can do. You have reduced the risk to an acceptable level.

1 Thank

I think we redacted it from one of our recyclers a few years ago.

See attached

Like if you are reading this in 2020. Haha.. many thanks!!! 

Happy new year!

2 Likes

Hi, I need to see how I can comply with the new requirement from SQF 12.8.1.4 for the control of trademark material. 

we use our city disposal services for all our waste disposal.

thank-you

Tina Reyes

Similar Discussion Topics
Checking frozen incoming material using digital probe thermometer Use of confirmed OOS material in other projects Foreign Material Handling for product with meat filling Hazard of Using Aluminum Foil as Packaging Material Mixed Pallet - Raw Material Control of Foreign Material from Carton Box Hazard Analysis and identification of raw material and ingredients Is it ok to use Used Raw Material Packaging as Secondary Packaging for Other Raw Material Foreign Material SS Metal BRC 4.15.1 - Raw Material on Floor