What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How much detail is required in Flow Charts?

Started by , Apr 25 2018 01:03 PM
8 Replies

So just an opinion question here. How much detail is enough and how much is too much in your flow charts? Here at our facility there are MANY "legs" or "elevators" and conveyors that allow us to go into many tanks and bins. I understand analyzing the hazard for each step but I am wondering if anyone else out there has this issue where a rather simple process could turn into a diagram/hazard analysis time suck. 

If I took out all of the elevators and conveyors it would all fit on 1 page, but with them it goes into 3 pages! 

Thanks in advance! 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? HACCP Flow charts and 'confidentiality' Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? NIAS analysis required for food PET bottles and PE closures Required Food Safety Training for Employees Under FSSC 22000
[Ad]

The issue with removing those items is that you cannot see where cross contamination may occur thus rendering your hazard analysis incomplete. At my PP, flow diagram was 8 pages, a complex process will have a complex flow chart

Also, many tanks and bins means many opportunities for error in process

I have also experienced in the past where the health and safety department also used the same flow chart for their purposes...

1 Thank

To Scampi's note, if a process step poses a unique threat, then it should be there.

To simplify, if you determine that pipe conveyance or storage in tanks all pose the same hazard threats every time they show up in your flowchart, you can reference the same hazard analysis every time they show up, but they should probably still be on your flowchart. E.g. in my bottled water process I have an "open container transport" and "closed container transport" hazard analysis that is referenced several times throughout the flows.

1 Thank

Do FDA anywhere specify what detail is required ?

A traditional haccp analysis only requires a basic flowchart but FS standards have all added their own (sometimes overlapping) extras such as CPs etc etc

1 Thank
The purpose of a process flow diagram is to provide a clear, simple description of the steps involved in the processing of your food product and its associated ingredients as they “flow” from receipt to distribution. The process flow diagram should cover all steps in the process that the facility performs, including receiving and storage steps for each raw material or other ingredient, preparation, processing, packaging, storage and distribution of the product. Additionally the process flow diagram should identify the equipment (e.g., pumps, surge tanks, hoppers, fillers) used in the operations. An accurate process flow diagram serves as a useful organizational format for elements of the food safety plan, because it identifies each of the steps that must be evaluated in the hazard analysis. You should verify the process flow diagram onsite in order to ensure no steps have been overlooked. The purpose of a detailed process description is to explain what happens at each of the process steps. Information such as the maximum length of time a food is exposed to ambient temperature during processing, whether a food is handled manually, and whether rework is incorporated into product can be important for an accurate hazard analysis.

Source: https://www.fda.gov/...A/UCM517394.pdf

Suddenly my own flows feel inadequate...

1 Like1 Thank

Hi 3F,

Thanks.

The purpose of a process flow diagram is to provide a clear, simple description of the steps involved in the processing of your food product and its associated ingredients as they “flow” from receipt to distribution.

Precisely.

Most of the rest IMO is babble, except the rework/verify.

The process details used to be added as a separate feature in traditional haccp plans as a "SOP"

1 Thank

Do FDA anywhere specify what detail is required ?

A traditional haccp analysis only requires a basic flowchart but FS standards have all added their own (sometimes overlapping) extras such as CPs etc etc

FFF posted what they think a flow chart is.

Interestingly enough, they are NOT a required item in Food Safety Plans under FSMA.

They recommend that you use one, but it's not a legislative requirement.

Marshall

1 Thank

Probably not terribly helpful to the OP, but just figured I'd share.

Marshall

Attached Files

4 Thanks

Just trying to understand BRC GS. Has some more detailed requirements to flowcharts than IFS Food. Your Sample is much appreciated and gives hints on how to rebuild our "historic" charts to be compliant.

Similar Discussion Topics
Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? HACCP Flow charts and 'confidentiality' Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? NIAS analysis required for food PET bottles and PE closures Required Food Safety Training for Employees Under FSSC 22000 Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control Are 3 month required documents for SQF Audit? HACCP Flow Import and Export Is Water testing required for SQF Storage and Distribution site? What supplier documentation is required when using Aluminium Foil as Primary Packaging?