What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What are the chemicals that can be used in equipment maintenance?

Started by , Jun 05 2018 03:34 PM
10 Replies

Hello everyone! I am working on IFS certification and this problem has arised: what are the chemicals that can be used in equipment maintenance?

Can someone please see me?

Thank you very much

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
New Equipment and Commissioning Checklist Template FSSC v6 equipment management purchase specification Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Maintenance Shop Refrigerator The why, what for and how on Food Equipment & Supplies Safety Certification
[Ad]

Hello everyone! I am working on IFS certification and this problem has arised: what are the chemicals that can be used in equipment maintenance?

Can someone help me please
?

Thanks a lot!

What specifically are you looking for? Lubricants, cleaners etc

Anyone who may be in contact with the food

Food grade only for IFS.

1 Thank

Not sure about IFS, but any chemical/lubricant should also be demonstrably allergen free.

Marshall

1 Thank

Dear Catarina,

Indeed, make sure that these lubricants, which could have eventual food contact, are food grade. You can ask the suppliers for more information.

You need to look for other chemicals as well, as for example degreasers are often used in the maintenance department.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

1 Thank

First off, we are a food packaging manufacturer. My experience and conversations with auditors has been if the lubricant is prevented by physical barrier or proximity (not above or close to the path of the product) from potential contact with the product or product path, a non-food safe lubricant can be used. An example would be a remote or side frame (below path), crank case or reservoir. Manufacturer requirements must be taken into account as well. A CB can't require you to use a lubricant that is outside the specifications of the manufacturer if it may destroy, let's say a $20,000,000.00 piece of equipment. That being said, you do need to take whatever measures possible to ensure the lubricant poses no food safety (or quality) risk. We have changed all of our lubricants to full synthetic and, where possible, food safe. Don't forget to include your compressors especially if your processes use compressed air in contact with product or equipment contact surfaces. As far as cleaning, that shouldn't be an issue as there are myriad food safe cleaners out there. Other chemicals would need to be covered by your maintenance procedures. Ours include a "Machine Clear" that includes a checklist of items to be done (clean all area surfaces, gather all hardware and fasteners etc.) after a repair as well as satisfying your tool accountability procedure. Hope this helps.

1 Thank

Thank all of you for your precious clarifications!

Actually a logical answer IMO to the OP or Post 4 would probably be to quote a BOOK and perhaps link to things like H Gradings..

Can someone please see me?

Thank you very much

Hey Catalina -  for all food contact surfaces, use food grade oil, lubricants, and greases. Contact the manufacturers and request FDA statement, allergen statement and Non GMO information. Store the FG chemicals above Non FG and make sure your grease guns are labeled as FG and Non FG

Similar Discussion Topics
New Equipment and Commissioning Checklist Template FSSC v6 equipment management purchase specification Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Maintenance Shop Refrigerator The why, what for and how on Food Equipment & Supplies Safety Certification The why, what for and how on Food Equipment & Supplies Safety Certification The why, what for and how on Food Equipment & Supplies Safety Certification COP Ancillary Equipment Food Manufacturing Cleaning Chemicals (11.2.10.2) Calibrated equipment found out of calibration