What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to wildcraft/pick herbs for production legally?

Started by , Jun 11 2018 11:04 PM
4 Replies

So our company is built on the foundation of local and sustainable products.  We are currently sourcing all of our food materials from vendors. We are located in the lovely state of Washington and we have a lot of wild botanicals.  

I was wondering if anyone had any information on how to wildcraft/pick herbs for production legally.  I have spent hours googling it and I've struggled to find the information I need.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Fumes in the Production Facility Using cattle salt-non food grade on a food production line Production Personnel Wearing Finger Nail Polish and Gloves Specifications for Micro Testing of Water used in Food Production
[Ad]

Dear Eryna,

The information you're looking for starts with the Washington convention:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITES

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Your biggest concern with "foraging" for ingredients will be chemical uptake in those materials....how can you be sure that the soil isn't contaminated and your harvesting likewise contaminated herbs?

If you really want to use them (juniper, wild garlic et all) I suggest you harvest a sampling and send them to a lab for chemical residue analysis, you need to consider these products from the point of view of "approved supplier status"......how will you convince an auditor these items will not adulterate your finished products?

The issue is what may have been put on the lands or what the lands were used for...........if you're foraging in old growth forest, or is it reforested area......then there is the legal matter of who actually owns the lands on which you are foraging.............I would check out all of those things prior to keeping on

I applaud your efforts (we are orgainic farm to fork) but you need to ensure you don't jeopardize the business from a legal stand point

Your biggest concern with "foraging" for ingredients will be chemical uptake in those materials....how can you be sure that the soil isn't contaminated and your harvesting likewise contaminated herbs?

If you really want to use them (juniper, wild garlic et all) I suggest you harvest a sampling and send them to a lab for chemical residue analysis, you need to consider these products from the point of view of "approved supplier status"......how will you convince an auditor these items will not adulterate your finished products?

The issue is what may have been put on the lands or what the lands were used for...........if you're foraging in old growth forest, or is it reforested area......then there is the legal matter of who actually owns the lands on which you are foraging.............I would check out all of those things prior to keeping on

I applaud your efforts (we are orgainic farm to fork) but you need to ensure you don't jeopardize the business from a legal stand point

The legal reasoning is why I'm seeking this information.  We have plant experts and experienced foragers on our team, and the areas they have harvested in the past are tried-and-true. We extract from all botanicals we pick, so everything is boiled and pasteurized before putting into our products.  Before I joined the team nobody thought of the legal side of it, and I immediately put a hold on foraging until I can figure it all out.

I'm playing devils advocate here, have the plants been analyzed for chemical residues? Boiling will just concentrate any residue that may exist----just a point to ponder

Yes, you've done the right thing, this article says specifically, ensure you've got the land owners permission, be it private or government.

http://www.restauran...ethics-foraging

Similar Discussion Topics
Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Fumes in the Production Facility Using cattle salt-non food grade on a food production line Production Personnel Wearing Finger Nail Polish and Gloves Specifications for Micro Testing of Water used in Food Production Inhalers in production rooms Suitable Flashlights for Inspections by the Production Team If the production sites water comes from a town or regional water supply, do we still need to do water monitoring? How to maintain a receiving and production system for recall? Insect Contamination Complaint dried herbs and spices