[Ad]

Acceptable limit for Coliform/Fecal Coliform for Ready-to-eat Foods

Started by , Jun 20 2018 09:32 AM

See here. A table is listed in the document:

http://blpd.dss.go.th/micro/ready.pdf

Thank you!

9 Replies

Hi,

Anyone here who may know what is the acceptable limit for coliform & fecal coliform for ready-to-eat foods?  Appreciate if you could also share any references pertaining to the topic.  Thanks.

Cheers,

Cath

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment What are acceptable limits for compressed air testing for raw frozen beef steaks? Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Acceptable level of Bacillus bacteria in the environment EMP Are black safety shoes acceptable in a food plant?
[Ad]

2 Thanks

Hi,

Anyone here who may know what is the acceptable limit for coliform & fecal coliform for ready-to-eat foods?  Appreciate if you could also share any references pertaining to the topic.  Thanks.

Cheers,

Cath

Hi catherine,

I assume you mean official/reference textbook standard.

Are you aware that official Philippine Food Micro.Standards exist ?

Product  ?

Location ?

Coliform is not directly safety-related. Sometimes <100cfu/g but afaik this is just an empirical hygiene opinion.

Fecal coliform is sort of obsolete. Recommend to replace by generic E.coli.

1 Thank

Thank you!

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your response.  My reply in blue font below.

Hi catherine,

I assume you mean official/reference textbook standard. Yes, that's correct.

Are you aware that official Philippine Food Micro.Standards exist ? You mean the one issued by the Philippine FDA? I saw this already but it's for various manufactured / produced pproducts. Not for ready-to-eat / cooked food (i.e. viand prepared by a caterer).

Product  ? Ready-to-eat food (i.e. pandan chicken, fried rice, etc.)

Location ? (Kitchen commissary) 

Coliform is not directly safety-related. Sometimes <100cfu/g but afaik this is just an empirical hygiene opinion. 

Fecal coliform is sort of obsolete. Recommend to replace by generic E.coli. I see. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Catherine

Hi catherine,

I assume you mean official/reference textbook standard.

Are you aware that official Philippine Food Micro.Standards exist ?

Product  ?

Location ?

Fecal coliform is sort of obsolete. Recommend to replace by generic E.coli.

Hi,

May I have last question? An RTE food lab result with a Coliform Count of 150 MPN & Fecal Coliform Count of 150, is this considered a failed result and indicative of a food safety risk?

Thanks for your possible answer.

Cheers,

Catherine

Dear Catherine,

In addition to the information above, just a note that for certain export countries, Fecal coliforms in Ready-to-eat foods can be an issue as well (for example Japan).

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

1 Like1 Thank

Hi,

May I have last question? An RTE food lab result with a Coliform Count of 150 MPN & Fecal Coliform Count of 150, is this considered a failed result and indicative of a food safety risk?

Thanks for your possible answer.

Cheers,

Catherine

Hi Catherine,

Apologies late reply. Never saw yr Post.

It's questionable to make a decision based only on one result. Additionally the factors are not specific pathogens. And the product type is unknown.

Commonly used accept/reject criteria,  as you probably know, often use the nmMc system where n = 5.

Regardless, assuming the data mentioned is from a validated method, the results would probably be considered  "high" for many foods.

1 Thank

Dear Catherine,

In addition to the information above, just a note that for certain export countries, Fecal coliforms in Ready-to-eat foods can be an issue as well (for example Japan).

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

Thanks Gerard for that info. 

1 Thank

Hi Catherine,

You're welcome ! Have a nice day !

Kind regards,

Gerard

Similar Discussion Topics
Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment What are acceptable limits for compressed air testing for raw frozen beef steaks? Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Acceptable level of Bacillus bacteria in the environment EMP Are black safety shoes acceptable in a food plant? IFS 3.3.3 - What is acceptable as a training signature? Is a signature stamp acceptable for use in the food safety plan? Standard Plate Count acceptable results Acceptable Peroxide Values in Palm Free Stabilizer Color deviation acceptable range