What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Environmental Monitoring - SQF 2.4.8.1 - Explanation

Started by , Jul 12 2018 09:04 PM
4 Replies

I am looking for some tips for Environmental Monitoring for a plant that produces plastic bags.  I have read the other posts and thought I had a good handle on it until we had our audit and a minor was given for not having a plan in place.  I had done a risk assessment and found a very low to non-existent risk.  The auditor let me know that even if our raw materials and finished goods do not support microbial growth that does not mean it will not occur down the line.  I don't understand that if a product does not support microbial growth how can it occur later?   Has anyone else been working on this issue?  How have you handled it?  Any advice is much appreciated, I have hit a wall.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Environmental Monitoring guidance Seafood facility 3M Environmental sampler abrasive swab sensitivity Flour Mill Environmental Monitoring
[Ad]

I am looking for some tips for Environmental Monitoring for a plant that produces plastic bags.  I have read the other posts and thought I had a good handle on it until we had our audit and a minor was given for not having a plan in place.  I had done a risk assessment and found a very low to non-existent risk.  The auditor let me know that even if our raw materials and finished goods do not support microbial growth that does not mean it will not occur down the line.  I don't understand that if a product does not support microbial growth how can it occur later?   Has anyone else been working on this issue?  How have you handled it?  Any advice is much appreciated, I have hit a wall.

Yr comment that should be low risk matches the general consensus here.

I assume bags will be used for food contact.

Reason for "red" = surviving microbial cross-contamination from environment etc.

Some sampling (swabbing)/analyses are reported in older Packaging threads here, for example for APC, Y&M counts.

there are a few SQF8 packaging threads here already which discuss this topic Maybe search a little. IIRC SQF Packaging Guidance not out yet.

Also see this parallel thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ng/#entry128180

Thank-you Charles, we are now planning to do some swabbing.  I have started to research outside labs to assist since we do not have the capabilities here.  

I appreciate your input and the link supplied.

I will add that the risk assessment is mandatory but monitoring is NOT depending on your risk analysis

Hi Scampi,

please give an example of Environment risk assessment as confused about parameters includes not only pathogens but also air Air Pollution, Allergens etc.

appreciate help

mile

Similar Discussion Topics
Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Environmental Monitoring guidance Seafood facility 3M Environmental sampler abrasive swab sensitivity Flour Mill Environmental Monitoring Environmental Swabbing Matrix Environmental risk assessment and sample quantity SQF-2.4.8 - Is an Environmental Program Required? Environmental Monitoring Frequency of Testing Environmental Monitoring