What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Do foreign food ingredients need to do FSMA and HARPC?

Started by , Jul 17 2018 06:33 PM
3 Replies

Hi, we are a non-US food ingredients manufacturer, we are supplying oil and fats to our customers, who in turn further use it as ingredients for making cookies, potato chips, etc. So its not intended as ready to eat product.

We are certified for GFSI-FSSC 22k cert.

I'm curious to know, if we sells direct to US customers and the customers already in compliance with FSMA/HARPC requirement, do we need to be in compliance with FSMA/HARPC? and are we covered under FSVP?

or does this linked to the 'who' is the importer status? in this case we deliver all the way to the customers facility.

thanks!

CS

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]

Hi, CS

If you are selling food into the US, then you must be in compliance with the HARPC/Preventive Controls for Human Foods regulations.  The Foreign Supplier Verification Program means that your US customer is responsible to make sure that they are importing from a supplier who is in compliance with the HARPC rule.

1 Thank

Thank you Fishlady! this clears things up a bit, so we know what to focus next.

on a side note, I have been checking up on my network in the area who has been inspected by the US-FDA recently and it seems GFSI certification are still well accepted for compliance with FSMA

so maybe it is still on 'education' mode for US-FDA?

I believe FDA is in the "educate ​while ​they regulate" phase.  If you are GFSI certified, you may have a lower chance of having FDA audit you, but it is not a guarantee.  And has been discussed here before, there are some differences between the GFSI requirements and the FDA requirements.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan Food contact surfaces