What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can barcodes and production date & time be used as a batch?

Started by , Jul 20 2018 07:38 PM
2 Replies

Dear Members,

I have a question regarding serial/batch/lot numbers of products. I am working in governmental organization. Very often we meet with problem "how to identify imported products serial/batch/lot numbers". Sometimes inspectors just can not find it. My question barcodes and production date&time can be used as a serial/batch/lot numbers to identify and track food product and help in case of withdrawal and recall? Because as I know some barcodes (or all of them) contain information about serial/batch/lot numbers even item.

Thanks in advance

Best regards,

Saida S

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification Fumes in the Production Facility Using cattle salt-non food grade on a food production line
[Ad]

Hi Saida,
I think the answer to that is "maybe".

Some barcodes will be unique and facilitate proper traceability, but not all - this is going to depend to an extent on the format and content of the specific barcodes used. It's also quite a lot of detail to expect someone to write down accurately and I've always found shipping to go smoothest when things are as easy as possible for customs points!

Production date/time may uniquely identify the batch so that could work, but again in the interests of making it relatively simple for traceability at customer, import/export control etc , there is perhaps some merit to having a clear "batch code" or "lot code" marked on the label. This means everyone can readily identify it without needing to know that the production date doubles as the batch code.

Dear Sida,

see your food law requirements on labelling which all imported products have to fullfil. In the EC it is madatory that consumers can clearly read the data.

Rgds 

moskito

Similar Discussion Topics
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification Fumes in the Production Facility Using cattle salt-non food grade on a food production line What is the best way to stay up to date with EU legislation drafts? Production Personnel Wearing Finger Nail Polish and Gloves BRC Unannounced Audit Time Specifications for Micro Testing of Water used in Food Production Mold growth under large batch tanks