What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF 2.7.1.3 - Challenging Food Defense Plan

Started by , Jul 23 2018 02:32 PM
7 Replies

Good Morning,

How do SQF-certified companies "challenge" their food defense plans (2.7.1.3)?

Is it enough to simply test the security systems in place (locked doors, access points) - or is more required?

thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]

I do a weekly walk-through that I use as evidence of various things, including food defense.  I check to make sure all external doors are locked, that the conditions of the lot are secure, and that trucks in the lot are secured and tamper evident seals are in place. (also use it for things like GMPS, sanitation, pest control, foreign material control, etc. etc.)

1 Thank

Get creative. I have taken 5 gallon buckets and placed them in the production areas with a sign on them that says "bomb". 

See how long it takes for employees to report it.

If you are in a facility with dock doors, try to gain access to the facility from outside.

If you have teen aged children that have nothing better to do that day, take them into the facility and have them walk around and see how long it takes for employees to report/challenge them.

Part of "Food Defense" is ensuring that employees are trained and actively engaged.

Marshall

5 Thanks

Hey all,  I have met with several auditors that report that they will show up a bit early, obtain permission from administration, and then attempt to gain entry to the facility through open doors or just being friendly and asking to be let in.  We challenge our food defense by drilling with a member having a checklist of items with entry, sign-in, photography on-site and things along those lines.  The more realistic you can make the drill the better.  Then document, document, document.

I love the red bucket bombs!!!

We got a minor for not challenging it recently.  CAR was to have a stranger on site and see how employees reacted.

I had a stranger walk into the facility with no hair net and without signing in (we don't have a formal lobby) and recorded the staff reaction. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? No CCPs in a HACCP Plan - Can This Be Possible? Food safety culture plan