What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Limiting use of cyanide compounds

Started by , Aug 22 2018 07:34 PM
2 Replies

Currently sodium ferrocyanide, commonly known as Yellow Prussiate of Soda, is allowed by Canadian Food & Drug as an anti-caking agent in food grade salt. I'm reading that the Canadian EPA is proposing to add this, along with several other cyanide compounds, to its Schedule 1 of Toxic Substances. Can anyone tell me if this will affect the ability to continue using YPS in food grade salt?

Thanks for your help!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
[Ad]

That will depend on the new maximum limits that are set by Health Canada.......the salt mine here is HUGE and i'm sure if the tolerances are changing, that they are working on a new additive to prevent caking....my hunch would be cellulose (as is currently used in shredded cheese)

I will add, we use only non YPS salt in our application (cause who really wants any kind of cyanide in food??)

Trust me. As a food-grade salt manufacturer, I know there is no suitable substitute for YPS and our Canadian customers will be very unhappy with caking issues.

YPS may only be added at a max of 0.0013% and is considered a very safe food additive.

Similar Discussion Topics