What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

ISO 22000 vs FSSC 22000...are they equivalent?

Started by , Nov 30 2018 08:37 PM
8 Replies

We have a foreign supplier (pasteurized ginger pulp) who is ISO 22000 certified, and our supply chain preventative control standard is that food processors for high risk ingredients be GFSI scheme certified, which we understand ISO 22000 is not an approved GFSI scheme. 

Is there a justification to consider ISO 22000 as an equivalent to FSSC 22000 for the sake of satisfying our preventative control standard?

Thank you,

Don Holly

Director of Technical Services

Rhino Foods

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
ISO 22000:2018 - Clause 4.3 FSSC 22000 Implementation package V5.1 Fssc package FSSC v6 equipment management purchase specification Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0
[Ad]

Read on the differences here: 

https://www.ifsqn.co...000-fssc-22000/

Do they have controls for the hazard that you've identified? If you outlined a GFSI certification as a requirement in your preventive control, then you need to have justification for the deviation from your standard, provided that they adequately control the hazard that you identified that requires a supply chain control. 

We have a foreign supplier (pasteurized ginger pulp) who is ISO 22000 certified, and our supply chain preventative control standard is that food processors for high risk ingredients be GFSI scheme certified, which we understand ISO 22000 is not an approved GFSI scheme. 

Is there a justification to consider ISO 22000 as an equivalent to FSSC 22000 for the sake of satisfying our preventative control standard?

Thank you,

Don Holly

Director of Technical Services

Rhino Foods

Hi Don,

fssc22000 was created to modify-expand iso22000 so as to be gfsi recognized.

As previous post, answer yr query presumably depends on what yr prev.control standard is ???

Is it necessary to be certified in both ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000?

Is it necessary to be certified in both ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000?

Generally one does one or the other... FSSC encompasses ISO principles, adds other prerequisite requirements and is GFSI certified; therefore you are essentially certified in both if you hold FSSC certification.

Generally one does one or the other... FSSC encompasses ISO principles, adds other prerequisite requirements and is GFSI certified; therefore you are essentially certified in both if you hold FSSC certification.

Except that only one of the certifications would be GFSI recognised of course.

Thank you both.  We currently hold certification in both; I was wondering if it was a necessity.  I know owner wanted to be able to tell potential customers we were ISO certified. 

Thank you both.  We currently hold certification in both; I was wondering if it was a necessity.  I know owner wanted to be able to tell potential customers we were ISO certified. 

I would certainly think that he would rather tell customers about the FSSC certification if he understood what the FSSC scheme encompasses, plus the advantage of FSSC being GFSI recognized. (correction on my terminology, Charles.  :shades: ) 

1 Thank

I will bring this up at the next management meeting seeing as how we are scheduled for recertification next month.

Have a good weekend and Happy Holidays.

Shanna

Similar Discussion Topics
ISO 22000:2018 - Clause 4.3 FSSC 22000 Implementation package V5.1 Fssc package FSSC v6 equipment management purchase specification Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 FSSC New BoS Decision List FSSC v6 2.5.6 Management of Allergens FSSC V6 Internal audit Checklist Required Food Safety Training for Employees Under FSSC 22000 FSSC 22000 Implementation but have non-food Products