What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is coconut considered a significant allergen in the US?

Started by , Jan 16 2019 03:49 AM
7 Replies

Hello,

I am finalizing my HACCP study for VCO, Flour and Desiccated Coconuts but Im still confuse if I consider as allergen a significant hazard. Our market is US, is there any specific guidelines or documents that I can use? I saw on a article from australian article for allergen, it was rare but I want opinion from other expert.

Thanks!

Tonying

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management
[Ad]

Hi, Tonying.

Please see attached link.https://www.fda.gov/...s/ucm059116.htm

Please refer to the table of what are the nuts considered for US as included in treenut allergens. Coconut is included.

On many countries, coconut is not inlcuded, but for the country you are supplying to, it is part of the tree nut list.

Thanks

1 Thank

It is not a significant allergen ---- HOWEVER! in the United States it is listed as an allergen under TREE NUTS.  Go figure.

1 Like

Yeah, lot of concern about tree nuts but nobody even blinks when you say coconut.. However, still should be listed on your allergen control.

Yes, coconut is definitely considered as an allergen since it is categorized under the general nuts section in the USA.

What does VCO mean?

Coconut is an allergen in the US, but there are exclusions from labelling (-> fully refined vegetable oil).

Coconut is as long as I know an allergen only in the US. I does not have found the rational behind that. There are only a very few articles available and no acceptable studies.

If I compare that with the process for inclusion of sesame.....

Rgds

moskito

VCO= Virgin Coconut Oil.

RBD= Refined, Bleached, Deodorized.

Hi,

Coconut is considered as an allergen (tree nut) in the US. Since your product is VCO, DCN and flour, you should consider this as a significant hazard (allergen) as this is inherent to your raw material to finish product and there is no way of disrupting the protein as what happens in refined coconut-based oil. Just make sure to consider your labeling step as an allergen preventive control (declare the allergen!). 

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management Allergen Management Plan Lychee Nut Management as an Allergen Allergen Risk Assessment Carryover Non Allergen Allergen Label Checks