What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to convince Senior Management to support food safety

Started by , Jan 31 2019 12:33 AM
5 Replies

My frustration is that when we audit our own kitchen and highlighted several major non-conformance, senior management wont approve to buy new appliances.

Examples: To replace a chiller that is not functioning at optimal that is long overdue.

Had explained the consequences in terms of food safety, quality and potential customer complaint but failed to be heard.

I am wondering if there is a way to convince and make the boss to make changes to most issues related to food safety. Is there a cartoon analogy to support this? to make things less serious so that they can think of it differently.

I dont wish them to act promptly only when there is a big blow from customer complaint.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? FSSC v6 equipment management purchase specification
[Ad]

Find out some some real world scenarios or events that happened in a different company of your same type, like outbreaks or hazards because of such negligence and lack of anticipatory action. Try to convince him ( estimating how much approachable he is) about what would happen otherwise with some data and statistics, possible deterioration of the business if onetime an outbreak/hazard happened etc.

"Study your boss well first then sketch a plan accordingly"

I agree with EagleEye. Know the your boss's motivation though money is a strong motivator. Show the cost of a new chiller vs the cost of an outbreak, loss of business.

Agreed.......if $$$ is the only motivator (and it almost always is) then show them a cost analysis..............and overstate your case

Just the cost of what's in the chiller may be worth more $$ than the cooler itself

Even the scenario of the $$$ involved in a recall might not motivate...it will never happen to us mentality. 

Another important factor when thinking about money is the financial benefits of a new chiller. Are you continuously paying for repairs or having to throw things away as a result of the chiller's sub-par performance? Will there be potential energy savings or possibly refunds from the government or utility company if you got a new chiller? All of these things can be used to put together a plan that shows financially that a new chiller will pay for itself in X number of years AND improve how your kitchen looks to potential customers increasing business AND improve food safety. 

It's often difficult to look at all of these things as a food safety professional and think, "None of that's my job, why do I have to do that?", but sometimes we don't have a choice.

Whatever angle you end up taking, try to make the deal to good to say no to.

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? FSSC v6 equipment management purchase specification As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan