What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What does "BRC" stand for in Issue 8?

Started by , Feb 04 2019 03:26 PM
13 Replies

Hi all ,

Dose the BRC no longer stands for British Retail Consortium ? 

I heard that it stands now  for Brand Recognition and Compliance

Thank you

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Adding new building to BRCGS Issue 6 Certification Example of Quality Objectives According to BRC Issue 6 BRCGS Issue 6 - 1.1.2 - Food Safety Culture Traded Product BRC Packaging Issue 6 BRCGS 3.5.3 Issue 6 - Internal Auditor competency
[Ad]

The BRC Standards separated from the BRC (British Retail Consortium - the UK retailers' trade association) a few years ago - the standards side of things is now owned by LGC, who are the business that was spun off from what used to be the UK's Laboratory of the Government Chemist.

It's not entirely clear what, if anything, the BRC part now stands for, although this may be partly intentional as the "British" bit may have been viewed as hampering uptake outside of the UK.

1 Thank

Thank you for your replay , so it still stand for British Retail Consortium

Hi all ,

Dose the BRC no longer stands for British Retail Consortium ? 

I heard that it stands now  for Brand Recognition and Compliance

Thank you

Hi Sarah,

The perilous World of Acronyms.

Someone is possibly "having you on" ?

@pHruit,

Seems like you are better updated than Google and Wikipedia  :thumbup:  -

The British Retail Consortium (BRC) is a trade association for the UK food retail industry created in 1992.

The BRC has published standards for best practices for the food and manufacturing industries for two decades, and also publishes the On-Pack recycling standards for the UK.

https://en.wikipedia...tail_Consortium

PS - Apparently, Generically,  BRC also stands for British Rabbit Council

1 Thank

Hi Charles,

Yes, confusingly the BRC still exists as the British Retail Consortium, and is still the main trade body for retailers in Britain, but is now separate to the BRC standards. But they are both still most commonly referred to as BRC...

LGC's purchase was in 2016: https://www.lgcgroup...s/#.XFldj3k3azk

(I can't comment on the involvement of the British Rabbit Council, but I feel like its one of the few unusual questions that I haven't yet been asked by a customer or auditor so maybe I should start brushing up on my Lagomorphs :silly:) 

1 Thank

I was told directly by BRC Trainers that "BRC" now stands for Brand Recognition and Compliance. 

same here . A brc trainer told me that BRC now stands for Brand Recognition and Compliance. 

Ahem -

GBRC.PNG   30.65KB   3 downloads

Hi Sarah/LSB

After some more searching,  I think you may be correct ( :spoton: ) -

In 2016, BRC Global Standards was acquired by the LGC Group, the leading international life sciences measurement and testing company. Following this takeover, we took the opportunity to rebrand our organisation, moving away from the British Retail Consortium to Brand Reputation Compliance.

brc-global-standards-corporate-brochure.pdf   5.75MB   67 downloads

1 Thank
Yes, British Retail Consortium was not palatable to a lot of US folks so they changed it to Best Rabbit Cooking.
1 Like

Better Rabbit Casserole

1 Like

The could have taken the opportunity to go in a much more honest direction - it should obviously be: Brits are Risk-assessment Crazy ;)

1 Like

This reminds me of when AIB went from the American Institute of Baking to AIB International because they no longer served only bakers and they weren't only in America...

Thread was resurrected here -

https://www.ifsqn.co...me/#entry182918

Similar Discussion Topics
Adding new building to BRCGS Issue 6 Certification Example of Quality Objectives According to BRC Issue 6 BRCGS Issue 6 - 1.1.2 - Food Safety Culture Traded Product BRC Packaging Issue 6 BRCGS 3.5.3 Issue 6 - Internal Auditor competency Epoxy Floor Coatings issue BRCGS Packaging Materials Issue 6 Feedback - Public Consultation Requirement of Traded Goods-BRCGS Issue 9 Shelf life issue fresh fish BRCGS Auditor Issue 6