What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Food safety parameters of Lebanese style garlic sauce

Started by , Mar 15 2019 01:18 PM
3 Replies

Happy Friday!!!

Hoping someone has some insight

We've been approached to produce a Lebanese style garlic sauce as a co packer. We do not yet know pH or aw for the finished good. Product will be cold fill and hold with no kill step and basically only the antimicrobial properties of garlic, and a low pH and aw?? will keep it shelf stable

Has anyone experience with this style product?

Ingredients  oil, garlic, salt , lemon juice

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]

I came across this before, it is a FDA's titled "Current Food Safety Issues of Home-prepared Vegetables and Herbs Stored in Oil", I know this is not a Home-Prepared product, but it might give some insights...

http://www.foodprote...n-11-Nummer.pdf

"Raw or cooked garlic -> No Acidifying -> Storage Recommendation: Refrigerate -> Shelf-life: 3 weeks "

Thanks Mariam

I'm really hoping the pH comes in below 4 and aw below .85...........otherwise were not doing this project

What blows my mind is the client has been to other co-packers and not one of them asked about the finished product testing!  Particularly with the SFCR, it's us taking the hit with CFIA if something goes horribly wrong

Client looked right at me and said  "i don't know, do you think I've just been lucky???"  Ah, yep, you could have easily put people in hospital!  So if nothing else, hopefully I've educated him a bit

Thanks Mariam

I'm really hoping the pH comes in below 4 and aw below .85...........otherwise were not doing this project

What blows my mind is the client has been to other co-packers and not one of them asked about the finished product testing!  Particularly with the SFCR, it's us taking the hit with CFIA if something goes horribly wrong

Client looked right at me and said  "i don't know, do you think I've just been lucky???"  Ah, yep, you could have easily put people in hospital!  So if nothing else, hopefully I've educated him a bit

My concern is that adding the lemon juice might make the aw higher, which might make it less stable..

I think for traditional-products, producers sometimes look at it with the perspective "I have been doing this for a long time, nothing happened/ We have been eating this at home & we are fine..." which is a little bit frustrating.

It is  a good thing that you gave them some insights about Food Safety ! Good Luck!

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan Food contact surfaces