What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to reduce food wastage in a restaurant

Started by , Mar 27 2019 09:54 AM
12 Replies

Any one suggest me the natural process to reduce the food wastage in the restaurant... 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment for Processes Food safety culture Food Safety Additionally requirements Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6
[Ad]

Hello Sunil,

Could you be a little more specific in the scope of this matter?

Is it about the wastage happens in the kitchen or in the dining by customers?

1 Like1 Thank

Actually, I am talking about the wastage happens in the dining by customers..

How about offering 'doggy bags' so that people can take their left overs home?

Kind regards,

Tony

1 Like1 Thank

Hello Sunil,

Some suggestions only

You can consider creating an awareness in customers introducing them to your commitment towards food security and stand against food wastage.

- You could include slogans and quotes related to food security and wastage in you menu footer-line (Simply, without disturbing the purpose of a menu!)

- Putting a few appropriate posters in your entrance, LED display screens etc(Should not be in an annoying manner)

- Introducing this subject in your policy/mission

- Re-assessing your serving quantity carefully

Good luck!

1 Like1 Thank

Do you have feedback forms or reviews? If customers are leaving food on their plates there will be a reason, whether it's because their full and the portion size is too large or they are not keen on the food - identifying the causes should be the first step to tackling the issue.

1 Like

I've seen this practice only done in cafeterias but it could be happening in restaurants as well. Leftover food is separate out and then what can be composted is. This wouldn't reduce food waste nor costs but this would make your restaurant more sustainable.

1 Like1 Thank

Thank you for giving you valuable suggestion. All are very good. I will implement this suggestion. 

I've started noticing a few restaurants stating on their menus that portions are large, and that customers may order a smaller version of the same meal for at a lower price - theoretically means people are less likely to order more food than they actually want/need, so should reduce waste.

1 Thank

Hi

Thanks alot to all for there suggestions regarding the topic. Have a great day dear.

I like the idea of doggy bags, but not everybody would like to have a bag of food in their purse. 

Cut portion size

Agreed. Simplest solution is to decrease portions. If this is an overwhelming issue (which sounds like it might be), then the common denominator is the portion size. Knock that down a bit, and you'll see a better bottom line and much less food waste.

Similar Discussion Topics
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment for Processes Food safety culture Food Safety Additionally requirements Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Accommodations for Medication & Food How would you rate the food safety culture in your workplace? Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Repackaging of Food Grade product