What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Environmental Monitoring Program for Spice Industry

Started by , Apr 08 2019 08:35 PM
10 Replies

Hello Everyone,

I need some guidance in the Spice Industry.  Can someone share an example of a EMP?

I am new to this spice facility and industry and  I am working in upgrading the EMP Program.  The procedure does not have enough to pass SQF or FSMA

Looking for what kind of practices you do perform for your EMP. eg. Scheduling, micro monitoring, Zone Identification.

Thank you in advance.

Kellio.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Environmental Monitoring guidance Seafood facility 3M Environmental sampler abrasive swab sensitivity Flour Mill Environmental Monitoring
[Ad]

Here's something I wrote for a spice company a while back. It has been superseded, and it should have been, as it has issues. But it should actually give you a better idea of the thinking processes one should go through--ideas that should probably not be shared so directly with employees and auditors.

Attached Files

3 Thanks

Hello Mr Hank Major,

Thank you for your response. This is great information.

Kellio

Hello Mr Hank Major,

Thank you for your response. This is great information.

Kellio

No prob.

I look forward to seeing other people's Environmental Monitoring Program write-ups.

1 Thank

Hi kellio,

some examples here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ls/#entry100060

http://www.ifsqn.com...am/#entry119334

PS - @Hank, Zone 1 seems to often not be routinely sampled for Salmonella.

1 Thank

Hello Charles,

Thank you very much for your information is very helpful.  The Spice Industry have their own world and apparently it seems that the rules do not apply to them  :rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2:

Kellio

Hi kellio,

some examples here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ls/#entry100060

http://www.ifsqn.com...am/#entry119334

PS - @Hank, Zone 1 seems to often not be routinely sampled for Salmonella.

That's correct, because we determined that such testing would be worse than useless. The Salmonella, if it exists, will be in the ingredients. We have COAs for all the ingredients.

That's correct, because we determined that such testing would be worse than useless. The Salmonella, if it exists, will be in the ingredients. We have COAs for all the ingredients.

Hi Hank, the 3 refs I checked seemed to imply that a positive result in zone 1 would almost certainly initiate a major incident. Hence no news was better than bad news. Strange logic I know.

Hi Hank, the 3 refs I checked seemed to imply that a positive result in zone 1 would almost certainly initiate a major incident. Hence no news was better than bad news. Strange logic I know.

Salmonella is a special concern because it can survive essentially forever in dry ingredients. That's why it is better to assume it is always present in the raw materials, prior to treatment.

Salmonella is a special concern because it can survive essentially forever in dry ingredients. That's why it is better to assume it is always present in the raw materials, prior to treatment.

Hi Hank,

Actually I had noted that yr previous attachment "seemed" to imply doing Salmonella sampling in Zone 1 (text is slightly ambiguous).

In truth, this one specific topic has generated a vast amount of discussion in the Literature (scientific and pragmatic) regarding  the making of an appropriate Yes/No decision.

I enclose an extract illustrating the scope of possible determining factors .-

zone 1 sampling.PNG   662.6KB   12 downloads

Hi Hank,

Actually I had noted that yr previous attachment "seemed" to imply doing Salmonella sampling in Zone 1 (text is slightly ambiguous).

In truth, this one specific topic has generated a vast amount of discussion in the Literature (scientific and pragmatic) regarding  the making of an appropriate Yes/No decision.

I enclose an extract illustrating the scope of possible determining factors .-

zone 1 sampling.PNG

Yep, not a single one of those reasons to test in Zone 1 applies to my client's process.

Similar Discussion Topics
Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Environmental Monitoring guidance Seafood facility 3M Environmental sampler abrasive swab sensitivity Flour Mill Environmental Monitoring Environmental Swabbing Matrix Environmental risk assessment and sample quantity SQF-2.4.8 - Is an Environmental Program Required? Environmental Monitoring Frequency of Testing Environmental Monitoring