What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Do supplier documents need to be translated?

Started by , Apr 10 2019 06:07 PM
7 Replies

HI All, 

I was wondering if anyone can answer this question for me.

We are a Japanese Tea company in North America with our parent company in Japan.  We deal with suppliers out here and in Japan.  When we deal with our Japanese suppliers and request documents verifying food safety of products received they come in Japanese with no translation to English on their behalf. We have tried to ask them to translate with no luck. My question is, we are able to translate to English however how would a Auditor view a document translated by us.  Would it still be valid or does it have to get professionally translated?  

Thank you

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Passing through Food Safety Documents from our supplier to our customer Are 3 month required documents for SQF Audit? Approved Supplier Program - Spot Purchasing
[Ad]

Are you GFSI? If so, what scheme? In some cases I've seen companies request from their CB an auditor that can understand that language (SQF). 

Now I work at a company that speaks mainly Spanish. I am not a Spanish speaker. And every document I make, I translate it from English to Spanish or vice versa. My predecessor did the same thing. And the auditor was fine with it. (SQF)

HI Food Scientist, 
We are SQF Certified Level II.  I would say 98% of all of our documents are in English.  Our scheduled audit is in 2 weeks, so it may bit a bit late to request one that understands the language.  But hopefully next audit we can do so.

The documents do not have to be professionally translated.

Definitely no!

HI All, 

I was wondering if anyone can answer this question for me.

We are a Japanese Tea company in North America with our parent company in Japan.  We deal with suppliers out here and in Japan.  When we deal with our Japanese suppliers and request documents verifying food safety of products received they come in Japanese with no translation to English on their behalf. We have tried to ask them to translate with no luck. My question is, we are able to translate to English however how would a Auditor view a document translated by us.  Would it still be valid or does it have to get professionally translated?  

Thank you

(1-year old thread)

How could non-Japanese speakers understand the documents without translating them ?

If you need just to understand what it is about, you can use Google Translate, I always do it, when the instruction is not translated. Of course, if you need an accurate translation of the document, it would be better to ask professionals for help. I used wordpoint.com  when I needed to translate my CV, and they did it very well, perhaps they will help you.

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Passing through Food Safety Documents from our supplier to our customer Are 3 month required documents for SQF Audit? Approved Supplier Program - Spot Purchasing What supplier documentation is required when using Aluminium Foil as Primary Packaging? Supplier not providing TDS Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Emergency Supplier Approvals Effective Documents