What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Non traceable inventory items

Started by , Apr 19 2019 06:41 PM
5 Replies

Howdy,

We are a packaging manufacturer with flexograph printing capabilities. We currently have around $7,000 in ink sitting on the shelf. We have previously not received these into inventory with inventory numbers/ PO info, etc. and just considered it "supplies." 

Judging by the code, we will need to start receiving this as we do other raw materials, (assigning inv #, knowing which products it was printed on, etc) and be able to trace it one step up and one step down. 

My question is this: what do we do with the ink that's on the shelf and wasn't received correctly? I know the vendor for each ink, but I have no way to know which batch/ PO etc. it came from. Will this be a problem? 

Thanks for all of your continued support. Really loving the food safety community here.

Justin

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Proposal for Enhanced Inventory Management Strategies to Minimize Food Wastage How to evaluate expired inventory to prove they are good to use? Maintaining Traceability in FMCG warehouse for Promotional items Organic Material - Inventory Discrepancies Glass and Brittle Plastic Inventory (form)
[Ad]

Not knowing the standard - I assume SQF -- this would be handled in accordance with your NON-CONFORMING procedure. Basically you are going to hold it in place and decide on disposal method.

My apologies, should've mentioned it's SQF, ed 8. Disposal is the only option?  :shutup:

Well, you could sell it back to the vendors - but as it is you can't track it - as a Consultant I'm almost always the wet blanket - I don't know what else to tell you unless it can be reprocessed or re-purposed.

*gasp*

Thanks for your advice. Rather have the truth straight any day. 

Of course you could always run a documented risk analysis to show there has never been an issue with XYZ from such and such a vendor and then based on that - use it.  Might be thin, but I would give it a 50/50% chance of flying if it ever came up.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Proposal for Enhanced Inventory Management Strategies to Minimize Food Wastage How to evaluate expired inventory to prove they are good to use? Maintaining Traceability in FMCG warehouse for Promotional items Organic Material - Inventory Discrepancies Glass and Brittle Plastic Inventory (form) Do calibration weights need to be traceable or ISO certified? Supporting documents to show the removal of a product from the inventory? Kill step measurement for bakery items Distribution of Grocery Items Should plastic utensils, paper napkins, one time use items be lot controlled?