What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Food Defense/Intentional Adulteration Rule and Animal Food

Started by , May 02 2019 03:58 PM
14 Replies

So according to my research it appears that those who are in the business of producing Animal Food only are exempt from the Food Defense/Intentional Adulteration regulations? Is this correct? I was looking into a course from the FSPCA but I am not sure I can get my company to send me if we are not required to follow it.

Mitigation Strategies to Protect Food Against Intentional Adulteration: Guidance for Industry - 

"F. Animal Food
The IA rule requirements do not apply to the manufacturing, processing, packing, or holding of food for animals other than man. (21 CFR 121.5(f)). If a facility manufactures, processes, packs, or holds food for both humans and animals, only the activities related to human food are covered by the rule."

Thank you in advance! 

Attached Files

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]

That's what I remember from my PCQI class.  Here's another source confirming that.  Under the "exemptions" section of this part of their site: https://www.fda.gov/...al-adulteration

1 Thank

Yes you are correct. While I don't work in the animal food industry, I did just last Friday attend a FSMA meeting update for animal and people food held by my local university. It was mentioned that the animal industry is exempt. The irony was also noted - the fact that animal food can just as easily be adulterated. 

1 Thank

@KfromIA - what university is that? I am always looking for good content. 

Yes you are correct. While I don't work in the animal food industry, I did just last Friday attend a FSMA meeting update for animal and people food held by my local university. It was mentioned that the animal industry is exempt. The irony was also noted - the fact that animal food can just as easily be adulterated. 

@KfromIA - what university is that? I am always looking for good content. 

I'm interested too - I'm in your region, K! Networking?  :ejut:

1 Thank

I'm interested too - I'm in your region, K! Networking?  :ejut:

Here's the link - not sure if your business has to be located in the state to attend or not to attend. The reason I say this - it comes down to their funding source. CIRAS, the organization who is putting on the training, they are state funded and their contract may say something along the lines, for helping Iowa businesses/people only. Not sure.

https://www.ciras.ia...ents-workshops/

1 Thank

Any land-grant university's extension services should have some level of food safety training occurring.  Most of it would (I am guessing) be oriented towards the local agriculture infrastructure, but you should be able to tie into them as well.  There are also regional clearinghouses such as at University of Vermont, Iowa State, University of Florida, etc (see link) that tend to have larger focuses .  From what I've read, they also focus on "food processors" as well as, farmers.  We're in Ag and the local folks are actually tied into our industry, so we may get better responsiveness because of that fact, but personally I've always found them to be good resources - usually pretty responsive and well grounded in FSMA, science, etc. 

Here's the background on the regional centers from their site: "In 2015, recognizing the need for food safety training for small farm owners and food processors, the FDA and USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) announced the National Food Safety Training, Education, Extension, Outreach, and Technical Assistance Grant Program, intended to provide funding so that these critical groups receive training, education and technical assistance consistent with standards being established under FSMA"

Link to regional centers: https://producesafet...cal-assistance/

Hope this helps somehow...

Todd

1 Thank

Here's the link - not sure if your business has to be located in the state to attend or not to attend. The reason I say this - it comes down to their funding source. CIRAS, the organization who is putting on the training, they are state funded and their contract may say something along the lines, for helping Iowa businesses/people only. Not sure.

https://www.ciras.ia...ents-workshops/

Thanks. I previously signed up for one of the FSMA updates this summer through IA State, but hadn't seen a page detailing the complete schedule.  Did the update focus majority on Intentional Adulteration rule? (i.e. I'm in animal food, so is it worth my time to go?)

1 Thank

Thanks. I previously signed up for one of the FSMA updates this summer through IA State, but hadn't seen a page detailing the complete schedule.  Did the update focus majority on Intentional Adulteration rule? (i.e. I'm in animal food, so is it worth my time to go?)

No, it covered everything. The majority of my participants were not affected by the rule so not as many questions on it. So is it worth it - it'll depend on who else is there and if you have any specific questions needing answered.

2 Thanks

What a great group! I remember on a another thread we tried to get Animal Feed/Pet Food as a sub category but I don't think it ever went anywhere. 

What a great group! I remember on a another thread we tried to get Animal Feed/Pet Food as a sub category but I don't think it ever went anywhere. 

Yes, where did that go? @Simon?

Sorry missed this or forgot :oops:

What do you want me to do?

Simon

1 Thank

Sorry missed this or forgot :oops:

What do you want me to do?

Simon

We had requested on another thread that a subtopic on Animal Food/Pet Food manufacturing be created, but I can't seem to find that thread.... 

Anywho, possible maybe?  :ejut:

1 Thank

Ok I'm going to set up a forum for

Animal Food/Pet Food manufacturing

watch this space

:eekout:

1 Thank

Forum added.

If you need anything else let me know.

Simon

1 Like3 Thanks

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan Food contact surfaces