What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is Barley Flour an allergen in a storage facility?

Started by , May 17 2019 02:02 PM
10 Replies

Does Barley Flour need to be treated as an allergen in a storage facility?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Warehouse storage practice for Non-GMO Project Allergen checklist to supplier Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Pecan, Almond and Other Nut Storage
[Ad]

Dave,

This is a great question.    I hope someone will chime in on this as I have been curious myself. 

GPG

This will answer your question:

https://www.fda.gov/...d-food-labeling

Barley contains Gluten, and Gluten is an allergen. Most people who are allergic to Wheat are also allergic to Barley. So I don't see why you would not consider it an allergen during storage, although Wheat is identified as a major food containing allergen by law. (in labeling too).

Barley flour is considered an allergen.

Lot of information in that link about barley containing gluten but i want to better understand the warehousing practice for barley flour and whether it should be handled and/stored like one of the big 8

thanks in advance

Dgadberry where are you based? It may depend on location as I know there are differences between USA and Europe when it comes to "defined" allergens.

In the EU, barley is considered an allergen (containing) food.

TheAnnex IIallergens are:

 Cereals containing gluten namely wheat(such asspelt and Khorasanwheat), rye, barley, oatsandtheir hybridised strainsand products thereof, except:

a) wheat based glucose syrups including dextrose

b) wheat based maltodextrins

c) glucose syrups based on barley

d) cereals used for making

Based in the USA, we know it's not listed on the big 8 but does contain gluten...want to make sure we correctly handle.  thanks everyone for the responses!

Dgadberry where are you based? It may depend on location as I know there are differences between USA and Europe when it comes to "defined" allergens.

In the EU, barley is considered an allergen (containing) food.

TheAnnex IIallergens are:

 Cereals containing gluten namely wheat(such asspelt and Khorasanwheat), rye, barley, oatsandtheir hybridised strainsand products thereof, except:

a) wheat based glucose syrups including dextrose

b) wheat based maltodextrins

c) glucose syrups based on barley

d) cereals used for making

That's interesting that they mentioned "oats" as containing gluten after barley, because they do not naturally contain gluten 

Like many have stated: Barley would not be considered an allergen in the US (wheat is considered one of the Big 8 but not gluten in the US). However if you are wanting to control for gluten, then you need to treat it like an allergen.

The Food Scientist, while oats don't contain gluten, people with celiac disease are told to watch out for oats because the risk of cross contact is high.

https://www.beyondce...uten-free/oats/

Like many have stated: Barley would not be considered an allergen in the US (wheat is considered one of the Big 8 but not gluten in the US). However if you are wanting to control for gluten, then you need to treat it like an allergen.

The Food Scientist, while oats don't contain gluten, people with celiac disease are told to watch out for oats because the risk of cross contact is high.

https://www.beyondce...uten-free/oats/

Yes contact risk is correct. However in my opinion,  it's very false to say they contain Gluten and listing them among gluten containing grains. 

"are oats allergens" is always an interesting one. Below is a recent thread on the topic, information in which will likely answer several of the questions I anticipate about to arise in this thread.

https://www.ifsqn.co...gen#entry139043

Similar Discussion Topics
Warehouse storage practice for Non-GMO Project Allergen checklist to supplier Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Pecan, Almond and Other Nut Storage Allergen Specific factory wear Fumes in the Production Facility Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Allergen declaration for gelatin? What would be the best temperature and relative humidity for our rice mill warehouse storage facility?